Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

computer crashes

hello,
I've been getting recurrent computer crashes for the last 6 months or so now. Its quite annoying and seems to happen in spurts, will run fine for a few days then will crash every 5 minutes for an hour. I run windows XP on an HP Media Center PC m7470n Prod #: ER883AA-ABA S/N: MXK611026R (not sure if this info is of any use).
I will be running a program (its happened during pretty much every program i run) and the computer will randomly restart. Sometimes i will have to power up and down a few times to get a start up screen and often once i get going it will simply crash again. I saved the error code from the last crash-

Error signature:
BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BF88DB49 BCP3 : BA9C7A68
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

any help or suggestions would be appreciated

thanks,
chris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer crashes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer crashes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Computer Restarts Are Frequently Heat Related

In reply to: computer crashes

Take the cover off the case, and use compressed air to blow out all the dust around the fans, the processor and heatsink, and everywhere else inside the case. Point a house fan at the computer inards and see if it runs better now..

It could also be an issue with the power supply heading sout.. But try the steps below before replacing such.

Click on the link below and follow ALL of the procedures to eliminate junk files and reduce the number of unnecessary startup programs and services:

Cleanup Steps

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Computer Restarts Are Frequently Heat Related

Sorry it took so long to post a reply. I opened up my tower and was surprised to find an enormous amount of dust. I followed your advice and used compressed air to clean it and that helped the performance immensely. I had figured it may have been an overheating problem and had vacuumed the side panels and vents but compressed air did the trick. The computer crashes on rare occasion still, but i would estimate it happens only 5% as much as it did before i cleaned it. Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

Collapse -
If The Heat Damage Is Prolonged...

In reply to: thanks

...then you may want to check the motherboard capacitors to see if they are bulging or leaking.. Although dusting them off now is a good thing, lack of such maintenance in the long run may have caused damage..

I hope that's not the case but it is possible.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
try this

In reply to: thanks

There are many reasons; it is hard to find it out quickly.
You may try this method:
1. Reinsert the memory, make it tidy and tight.
2. Replace the power supply.
3. Right click 'My Computer' > 'Properties' > 'Advanced' > Startup and Recovery 'Settings', unclick 'Automatically restart'.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.