Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

computer crashed

My computer crashed because I messed up.
At first it gave me a blue screen now it won't boot at all.
I need to know if I replace the old small size 60gb hard drive with a new bigger hard drive
how do I load windows xp onto a new "blank" HD?
I'm old and not to smart.
the computer store wants $55 an hour to clean and restore and I can get a new 160gb for $45.
Thanks for your help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer crashed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer crashed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's a guide...

In reply to: computer crashed

Unless the hard drive is bad you do not need to replace it at all...just follow these instructions to clean install Windows XP, noting step 10b.

However, that may be a bit drastic at this point, depending on what exact problems you're facing. Reinstalling XP would cause you to lose your current documents, settings, and installed software, forcing you to start from scratch. If you describe the problems you're encountering here we may be able to help address them instead of assist with the more dramatic reinstall option.

John

Collapse -
clean install

In reply to: Here's a guide...

John I missed your answer link.
I went there it looks like it will do the job.
Thanks
Lee

Collapse -
Yep

In reply to: Here's a guide...

And let's hope it isn't a BIOs virus. A replacement installation disk can be purchased cheap by contacting the manufacturer.

Collapse -
Install these with the clean OS installation

In reply to: Yep

Collapse -
Crash first

In reply to: computer crashed

What happened to make it crash? Any beeps when you start the PC? What OS and what PC brand and model. I need this information to assist you. Do you remember any warnings from the blue screen. Have you changed any hardware lately?

Start a new post about adding the hard drive once we are done with the crash problem.

It might be time to buy a new one. I'm going to guess yours is around a 2001-2002 computer. Think ten human years per each calendar year for a PC. A 2001 PC is 70. Could you work as hard as your PC does at 70? Might save you many head aches. New PC about $600.00 or more:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=landing&landing=desktops

Collapse -
virus

In reply to: Crash first

Computer is an old one I had to take a disability retirement.
I bought it off e-bay 3 years ago it worked great for what I wanted.
Compaq vio. I was downloading music the pop-up blocker would come on every time I tried to down load and I turned it off and forgot, Please don't tell me never to do that, I did it and it's to late.
Computer would start and a blue screen said I had a virus I ran norton but it didn't clean it.
Now the computer won't start it keeps restarting I was going to run chkdsk but like I said it keeps restarting.
that's why I thought I would buy a new HD and throw the old one away.
theres no data on it I need. I had just saved to disc the important info.
I have a good friend who could help me but he just left on vacation for 2 weeks. I need to know if theres anything I can do if not how do I load a new drive.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.