Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

computer crash

by lmg / February 12, 2006 10:51 PM PST

I opened my computer to clean it, as I have done many times before. Now when I try to boot up, the computer turns on and starts to boot up, but then it shuts itseld off - sort of. What I mean by sort of is that it stops running and the screen goes black, but the light on the computer is still on and the power is still going.

Does anyone know what I could have damaged when I cleaned it? I am 99% sure that everything I unplugged is plug in again.

Please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer crash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer crash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try SAFE MODE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2006 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: computer crash

If SAFE MODE works, set the video properties to 800x600 then reboot.

Bob

Collapse -
shuts down randomly on startup
by lmg / February 15, 2006 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: Try SAFE MODE.

Thanks, but sometimes the computer tries to go into safemode but after about 30 seconds it shuts down. Also it goes into the BIOS area and when I try to save changes and leave it shuts down. Other times, it will go directly to starting Windows and then it shuts down. There is no set pattern. Each time I turn it on, I never know how far I will get. Also, when the computer shuts down, the light still stays on. I removed the hard drive and put it in an enclosure and I am using it with my laptop to access my files until I can solve the problem or get a new computer. I think this thread should be listed in the hardware forum. Do you know how I can move it there?

Collapse -
Looks like repair time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2006 1:21 AM PST

Look for failed heatsinks, fans, bulging capacitors. Try less parts. Unplug the CDROM and what else you can to lighten the load.

It doesn't appear to be an OS issue at this point but some hardware failure.

Bob

Collapse -
how to apply arctic silver?
by lmg / February 15, 2006 8:21 AM PST

I plan on applyiing some artic silver to the processor and heat sink. Any advice as to how best to clean them before applying the new gel?

Collapse -
Pictures and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2006 8:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by lmg / February 15, 2006 9:34 PM PST
In reply to: Pictures and more.

Thanks for the link. I plan on trying this tonight.

Collapse -
Cleaning...
by Aivas / February 15, 2006 3:49 AM PST

I'd be interested to know what physical things you did to the inside to clean it. Feather dusters are too abusive to the insides...but since you've done this before, you may not have used anything inappropriate. Perhaps you should go back in and make SURE every thing that should be firmly attached to the motherboard is still so.

Bob K

Collapse -
cleaned with canned air
by lmg / February 15, 2006 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: Cleaning...

I cleaned the inside with canned air. The only thing I can think of is that I froze something by gettibg to close to the components. Thoughts?

Collapse -
arctic silver fixed the problem
by lmg / February 17, 2006 2:42 AM PST

I took off the heat sink, cleaned it and the processor. Then I put some arctic silver between the heat sink and the processor.

It worked!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Best of continued (self made) luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2006 2:53 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.