Computer Help forum

Question

Computer constantly freezes since new video card. Why?

by Multikarpo / October 11, 2011 2:04 AM PDT

My former graphics card (Geforce 8800GT) kicked the bucket so I got a new one, a Radeon HD 6850. Now after installation my computer has started freezing at random, forcing me to hard reset every time. Usually it happens on desktop or in the middle of a game, but sometimes the pc hangs at Windows boot screen and occasionally freezes on the BIOS control panel as well. And that's nuts.

I've tried switching the power supply (currently at 480W), switching RAM thinking it was faulty, and reinstalling the graphics card drivers. So far no good.

Could it be that my graphics card is faulty, or is the motherboard giving in? Remember, nothing was wrong until the new 6850! Please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer constantly freezes since new video card. Why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer constantly freezes since new video card. Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tried Finding An Updated Driver??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 11, 2011 9:39 AM PDT

Frequently, the driver on the included CD is old and faulty.. Try visiting the Radeon site and find an updated driver for your card. I don't see that you've listed the operating system on your computer for which I could supply the newest driver, but you should be able to find it yourself at the link below:

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

Likewise, visiting the computer manufacturer's website might give you the option for updating your BIOS software/firmware as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
Is your PSU
by Jimmy Greystone / October 11, 2011 10:17 AM PDT

Is your PSU sufficient to power this new card? Make sure to check ALL the specs. Sometimes cards have requirements that go beyond simply how many watts your PSU is. Like I have a GeForce 550Ti that needs 24A on the 12V rail, which is a bit unusual. So go through ALL the electrical specs and make sure your PSU meets or exceeds them for your video card.

USUALLY if the PSU isn't up to snuff you get reboots rather than freezes, but this is something that you should be able to test in a few minutes and it's free, so may as well rule that out first.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?