Desktops forum

General discussion

Computer came out of hibernation on its own

by win98halfbaked / January 24, 2006 11:31 PM PST

I have an HP a710n desktop PC (Athlon XP, Windows XP Home SP 2).
Yesterday I tried to put it on Standby twice before going to bed, but it came out of Standby for some reason a second later. So I put it on Hibernate. The computer was obviously powered off, but not unplugged from an outlet.
And an hour later, I was woken up by the computer suddenly powering up - it somehow came out of hibernation on its own. I put it back on Hibernate, and this time unplugged it, and, as you can imagine, it didn't turn on again until I plugged it back in and pressed the power button this morning.
I haven't had any problems with Standby today.

Anyone have any clue how the computer could have turned on its own?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer came out of hibernation on its own
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer came out of hibernation on its own
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: computer came out of hibernation
by johnmendenhall / January 25, 2006 12:08 AM PST

If you have a scheduled task, such as a virus scan, it is possible that the computer would wake itself up from hibernation to execute the task that was scheduled for that time. It could have woken from standby if the table was bumped and the mouse moved. Its nothing to fret about - your computer isn't 'possessed' or anything like that.

Collapse -
Hibernation
by hoosier58 / January 25, 2006 12:21 AM PST

I have the XP media center: If I have somw TV program
to be recorded, it will come on automatically!

Collapse -
Remote Wake Up
by iQ-NeMo / January 25, 2006 12:14 AM PST

Sounds strange. Wake on Lan can do this, although wake up frames must be sent. Maybe someone is waking the wrong computer...or yours is ALIVE!

NeMo
http://www.iqinvesting.com/

Collapse -
Wake-on-(anything) PCI
by Master0fPuppets / January 25, 2006 12:16 AM PST

It could have been wake-on-lan or another type of PCI device that is set to wake the computer when it activates. Some modems do this, and if the phone rings, sometimes it can wake a computer from hibernation. The mention of ''bumping the desk'' and moving the mouse is also a possibility too, as well as hitting a key on the keyboard. There are several ways that it may have happened, so look into each one. You'll need to access the BIOS to check the settings as to which hardware has the ability to wake the computer. If you need further assistance, feel free to reply, and I'll get the specs on your specific machine and let you know exactly what to do, step-by-step... or you could call your PC's tech support line. Good luck. Wink

Collapse -
Hibernate, not standby
by win98halfbaked / January 25, 2006 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: Wake-on-(anything) PCI

The computer was on Hibernate - that is, *turned off* - not on Standby.
The only way to take it out of hibernation is to manually press the power button - right?

The network card is VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter. I looked through the device properties, and there do seem to be some mentions of "wake up," etc.
I have a home LAN & WLAN connected through a DSL router, with WAP security enabled, but I don't think anyone at home was using a computer at the time.

I don't know, maybe the power button got pushed somehow. I have a small cardboard box standing in front of the button (because the LED light is annoying), but still, no one was moving around in the room.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?