Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

computer build i was going to buy today

by thephonypope / January 15, 2012 11:31 PM PST

hey I just wanted a second opinion before I shell out all my precious moneys getting these parts. and comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

intel core i5 2500k
sapphire radeon 6850
500 GB hard drive (Caviar Blue)
Kingston hyperx ddr3 8GB RAM
Asus P8268 motherboard http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131786&Tpk=ASUS%20P8Z68-M%20Pro%20LGA%201155%20Intel%20Z68%20HDMI%20SATA%206Gb%2f
Coolermaster extreme power 500W http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031

plus windows 7, creative labs sound card, logitech mouse and keyboard etc etc

thephonypope has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer build i was going to buy today
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer build i was going to buy today
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by thephonypope

Collapse -
Just an opinion
by Bob__B / January 16, 2012 3:39 AM PST

I'd go back to Newegg and look for a single rail psu.
Corsair/Pc power+cooling........hint.....hint.

Your watts seem fine but that dual rail @18a might be a problem.

Collapse -
Answer
oh yeah
by thephonypope / January 15, 2012 11:33 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
ooohhh...
by thephonypope / January 16, 2012 5:46 AM PST

ah yeah, right you are
im still catching up with the new generation(s) of technology

Collapse -
You might hold off on the sound card for now
by Steven Haninger / January 16, 2012 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: ooohhh...

Unless you already know that your needs are special, I'd back away from spending money on a sound card. The on board sound will probably do fine for 90+ % needs for most people. You might use the built in for a while. If it's not doing what you want, you can buy according to your needs later.

Collapse -
thanks!
by thephonypope / January 16, 2012 6:56 AM PST

fortunately my computer buying plans were delayed...
any costs I can cut in favor of other things is nice

speaking of which, I was actually considering getting a geforce 560 ti, but I'm unsure what sort of cooling equipment I'll need if any.
I'm also thinking of getting a p67 motherboard for overclocking the intel 2500k, which would affect heating as well?

Collapse -
When on a budget, I'd suggest to forget over clocking
by Steven Haninger / January 16, 2012 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: thanks!

as it will not only add the expense of needing better cooling but will likely shorten the life of other components. It makes sense to buy what one needs that does what one wants without breaking a sweat. In the long run, it will probably save most people some money.

Collapse -
all right!
by thephonypope / January 16, 2012 11:37 AM PST

thanks a lot

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!