Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer becomes very loud after 5 minutes on the internet

by patka1 / September 13, 2007 5:52 AM PDT

I have a good computer 512 MB RAM, no problems with it when I am offline. I got a wireless internet connection, one, which is not secure. Since then, nearly every time when I am on the internet, after 5 minutes or so the computer starts making loud noise, probably from the fan and the CPU usage shows high. When I disconnect, the noise stops. Then I can connect again and have 5 minutes to work online. It is not always 5 minutes, sometimes it is much longer, but mostly about 5 min. I installed AVG antivirus software, but it did not help. Someone told me this could be caused by someone using the capacity of my computer when I am online. Would there be some program on my computer that would facilitate this? How would I find it, is there some software I could use, that would help, even though the paid version of AVG did not help? Thank you very much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer becomes very loud after 5 minutes on the internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer becomes very loud after 5 minutes on the internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Things To Do..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 13, 2007 6:33 AM PDT

First, the noise you're hearing might be perfectly normal.. Fans kick in when the workload of a computer goes up.

Let us know more about your computer.. Laptop or desktop? Let us know which operating system you've got and whether you have a firewall installed on your computer. Your wireless router/modem should have a firewall or at least NAT.. Open the router/modem settings and enable the firewall.

Next, open up the case of the computer and use compressed air to blow out all the dust around the processor, heatsink, and all fans.

Next, secure the wireless network connection. A WPA/WPA2 passphrase is a must..

Next, if you're using Windows 2000/XP/Vista, download, install, update, then run a full system scan with the free antispyware program from the link below. Delete anything it finds.:

Ewido/AVG Antispyware 7.5 Tool

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Collapse -
Computer becomes loud when online
by patka1 / September 14, 2007 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Things To Do..

Thank you for your reply. I have a Compaq 3400+ AMD Athlon 64 processor, 512 MB RAM, 200GB hard drive. I have it for about 2 years and it does multitasking very well, online or offline. This noise started only when I got this wireless router and it is independent of what I do online. I could be doing nothing at all, just be online and it comes on, real loud and CPU usage shows near 100%. Sometimes, usually at night, I can have several browser windows open and do different things and it doesn't start, but usually within 5-10 minutes online it starts, till I disconnect.

I don't know how to secure a wireless connection. I just have a usb router that connects to the network which is available here. I don't know what to do to secure it, would you give me some advice?

I installed AVG 7.5 and scanned everything, but it did not help. I am also using the firewall that comes with the software, but I only installed these after this problem started. I wonder if there is any program on my computer that could be causing this problem, or if it is coming from outside only.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thank you!

I know what you mean that fan coming on could be normal. But in my case,

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?