General discussion

computer at risk

how do i get rid of the popup "your computer might be at risk"?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: computer at risk
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: computer at risk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Is that all it says?

What other information can you supply to help us identify the possible problem?

Some of these warnings may be genuine, ie, your computer "may be" at risk.

Mark

- Collapse -
more information

sorry, i thought this was a popup everyone with XP
got. i get this when i boot up. "your computer might
be at risk". when i click on the popup, i go to,
"Windows Security Center". showing some of the following _firewall on/auto update on, ect._ all i am trying to do is, get rid of the popup. By the way,
the word "might" is used. not "may".

- Collapse -
Benji, check my reply
- Collapse -
Most if not all

of these messages are popups trying to get you to click on it to sell you something

- Collapse -
Not much info Bengi but

IF and only IF that warning is coming from the Windows Firewall that comes with XPSP2, go to start/control panel and double click on "Security Center". On the left hand side where it says "Resources", click on the one that says "change the way security center alerts me" and check or uncheck the appropriate boxes. IF it is NOT the Windows Firewall that the popup is coming from, we will need more information because, as pointed out by the other posters, it's malware of one sort or another trying to get you to click on it.

- Collapse -
Fix whatever it's complaining about

That message only tends to appear if you don't have an anti-virus program installed, which is a hugely bad idea. You can get two excellent freeware ones in either AVG Free or Avast, so there's NO excuse for being without.

CNET Forums

Forum Info