Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Computer as server/Mirra Personal Server

by WilliamKazak / September 30, 2005 4:19 AM PDT

Can I actually use my computer as a server?I want to share photos.The Windoze XP-OS seems to have a very complicated way of doing this that is not at all practical for my clients to share my various folders with.
On the other hand,Mirra Personal Server seems to be able to do the job,even without a static IP address.It seems that if you leave MPS on,the router knows where you are on the internet.I guess the "guests"log onto the Mirra site first in order to connect to the MPS.
It seems to me,however, that I don't need to buy Mirra to do this.My own computer should be able to share outside my home network.
Obtaining a static IP address is not possible for me on my DSL.Varoius companies like TZO offer a service that acts like a static IP.
Does anyone know if I can share outside the network on XP-OS?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer as server/Mirra Personal Server
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer as server/Mirra Personal Server
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Frankly? No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 4:45 AM PDT

"Windoze" is common slang for "I don't like Windows." Owners of such usually try to find out how not to make things work. Sorry, just calling it the way I see it.

However XP Home and Pro does have some rudimentary filesharing features. It takes a little effort but can satisfy small workgroups.

Sharing the Mirra or XP's shares on the internet is frankly too dangerous. Look at the experts and you see them talk about VPNs and more. I have a share on the internet but it's via the OpenSSH server. It's not bulletproof but sidesteps all the script kiddies of the world.

Bob

Collapse -
Sharing on the web
by WilliamKazak / October 2, 2005 1:44 AM PDT

Another way to share these pics is to use a photolab that offers its own re-order service and basically hosts it for the photographer.My lab is not setup to accept my PayPal account,however.The Paypal account is a free merchant account where the photog does not have to go to his own bank and pay $50 per month for a merchant account.That is why I would like to setup my own server.
My web host company allows me to add folders to my ftp site.I can give a customer a url to their own folder to view their pics.It is in a list form.If I added the html, it would pop open onto their browser.A benefit to me is that I maintain control of the presentation and I don't have to pay a commission to a photo lab who wants a % of the re-order.I thought Mirra was "safe".I contacted their tec dept but never got an email reply from the Mirra group.The telephone tec rep did not have enouugh knowledge to answer my questions.

Collapse -
If you insist...
by Edward ODaniel / October 2, 2005 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Sharing on the web

go to this site and spend some time READING what is offered.
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/sbs-serv-u.html

The Serv-U FTP server can be set up as a secure ftp or not-your option. It will also work with dynamic IP addressing and can be linked to a free DNS Server such as ZoneEdit.com.

The rest and final decision is in your hands.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?