Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

computer administrator/windows update problems

by endres1111 / October 19, 2006 4:32 PM PDT

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 that operates with windows XP.
Problem #1

I am having problems installing programs onto my computer, I have 2 administrator accounts, and when I attemp to install something it gives me an error that says
'You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account'
even though I am using an administrators account to attempt to install programs. I don't know if this is related but a few weeks ago my volume stopped working and I try to reistall the sound device but it says that it is not present everytime I restart my computer.

Problem #2
When I try to use my windows update the windows installer just freezes and then cancels the update.

Could both of these problems be related?

I am very greatful for any help given it is very frustrating.
And if I can fix this can anyone recommend any software to prevent this from happening again.
Again thaks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer administrator/windows update problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer administrator/windows update problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What do you use
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 19, 2006 8:19 PM PDT

to protect your computer from hackers, viruses, spyware and trojans?

We find nowadays that we need a good firewall to prevent hackers, a good anti-virus program to guard against viruses, and two or more anti-spyware utilties to stop spies stealing information from the computer.

When did you last scan with your own anti-virus and anti-spyware programs?

Mark

Collapse -
I use
by endres1111 / October 20, 2006 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: What do you use

I use EZ anti-virus and SpywareBlaster and I try to use yahoo toolbar antispyware and spywareguard but my computer will not allow me to use either of them.

Collapse -
hmm....
by mgriso / October 20, 2006 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: I use

There are usually 2 log files in C:\Windows called WindowsUpdate.log and Windows Update.log. Open those up and look at the entries matching the time when you last ran Windows Update. Look for any errors. That has sometimes given me enough information to do some searches on the web and find fixes.

The Administrator issue could be due to some registry rights not having been properly applied to the account you're using. Unfortunately, figuring out what is missing isn't easy. The other, but unlikely, possibility is that something has changed in the Local Security Policy such that the Administrators group doesn't have some rights like it should. You might want to look there for any situations where the other administrator account is listed, but "Administrators" is not.

James Krolak
jameskrolak at yahoo.com

Collapse -
sorry forgot some
by endres1111 / October 20, 2006 8:44 AM PDT

I also use a-squared 2.0 and try to use microsoft antispyware.

Collapse -
got one more
by endres1111 / October 20, 2006 8:54 AM PDT

I use RemoveIT Pro XT2b - SE

Collapse -
something new
by endres1111 / November 9, 2006 10:42 AM PST

I have a registry repair program on my computer now and it will repair the registry problems only until I restart the computer and the problems are always still there when I run the program again and they all have to do with my administrator and security problems that I am having with my computer.

Any suggestions now that I know what the problems might really be with my computer.

Collapse -
Couple different suggestions
by barnesam / October 21, 2006 5:12 AM PDT

Hi, It sounds like some of your permissions are lost despite your access as administrator. It could be a number of things, including a need to simply reregister Windows Installer - though this won't help fix your problem with your sound. That's probably a driver issue - try replacing the driver file, even if it's the old driver.

Getting back to your admin priviledges. Here are some things to try:

1. Open the Command window and type the following:
> msiexec.exe /unregister [press enter]
> msiexec.exe /regserver [press enter]

Try installing again. If it doesn't work,

2. Reboot your machine with your XP disk and repair Windows.

3. That will most likely fix it, but if it doesn't ... the question that I now have is whether your system crashed recently or if you could have applied some security policies that are locking you out of your own system. There is a fix for that too, but I won't post till you try the others.

Good luck! Happy

Collapse -
I'll try these
by endres1111 / October 21, 2006 11:25 PM PDT

I'll try these today and see what happens

Collapse -
no change
by endres1111 / October 22, 2006 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll try these

nothing is different.
nothing happened when I tryed your suggestions.
but thanks for trying to help.

Collapse -
Can you install anything at all?
by barnesam / October 22, 2006 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: no change

Proceed with caution when following this KBA. This will completely reset your permissions to the original default Windows settings. You may have to reinstall some software as a result of it, but it will restore your access if it is due to an inadvertent modification of your permissions.

First verify whether you can install other programs that check for admin priviledges. It could just be the program.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

Collapse -
no i can't
by endres1111 / October 22, 2006 2:46 PM PDT

I cannot install anything that requires admin priveledges.

Collapse -
didn't help
by endres1111 / October 22, 2006 2:53 PM PDT

nothing happened when I tried that either.

Collapse -
Reformat, reinstall
by barnesam / October 22, 2006 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: didn't help

Have fun!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thanks
by endres1111 / October 22, 2006 3:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Reformat, reinstall
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.