Cameras forum

General discussion

Compression size question

by Susan B. / August 2, 2004 6:34 AM PDT

Hello,
I have a Canon Powershot G5. I am confused about compression size. There are 3 options to chose from Superfine, Fine and Normal. Which one of these would be the lowest compression setting? The reason I ask is because High resolution + Low compression will take the best pictures. Yes, I have been playing with my camera and trying to learn, but the quality of picture seems to be lacking. Photographer (me) does have a lot to do with this. Thanks in advance.
Susan B.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compression size question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compression size question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Compression size question
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 6:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
That explains it
by Susan B. / August 3, 2004 1:04 AM PDT

Thanks Bob for the great link up.

Collapse -
Re: Compression size question
by snapshot / August 2, 2004 7:23 AM PDT

Each camera maker seems to name these differently.
The amount of the compression settings will differ for different cameras.

What they are talking about is the amount of compression that the camera applies to .jpg photos.
The less compression, the better the photo quality.

The purpose of compression is to let you reduce the file size of each photo.

The effects of compression is dependent upon how complex the photo is. If you have a photo that has a lot of blue sky and no trees or grass, you will be unable to tell the difference between any of the compressions.

Canon:
Superfine is the Highest Quality & Lowest compression.
Fine is somewhere between Superfine and Normal.
Normal is the Lowest Quality and Highest compression.

To do some testing, take a non-zoom picture that includes a lot of trees that are from 50 to 75 feet away. Try to include grass in the photo and very little sky. The more surfaces there are, the more complex the picture will be.

Take the same picture with the setting at Superfine, Fine and Normal.

Compare the results by using some photo viewing software that will let you zoom into the picture.
You should see the tree leaves start to look blurry and muddled with the Normal setting. The Fine setting should be better and Superfine the best. Many times you may see no difference between fine and superfine.

Collapse -
Will do some testing
by Susan B. / August 3, 2004 1:08 AM PDT

Thanks snapshot! Your answer explains it simply. Now to figure out the other settings.......
Susan B.

Collapse -
Try bracing the camera or using a tripod.
by Kiddpeat / August 14, 2004 1:24 PM PDT

You may find the pictures improve a lot when the camera can't move when you snap the shutter. I use the highest resolution setting that I can unless I'm running out of storage space.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!