PC Applications forum

General discussion

Compression Ratio On Zip Utilities

by JMoney97 / May 13, 2006 12:37 PM PDT

I've been trying to use WinZip to zip several mp3 files to email. Problem is, it doesn't seem to be reducing the size of the file much. It seems that when I view the properties of the zipped file, it is only compressing it at 1%. Anyone have any recommendations of how I might change the ratio, or otherwise accomplish this? Or can I not do this as mp3s are already compressed to some degree. Please email me at JMoney97@aol.com. Thank you in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compression Ratio On Zip Utilities
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compression Ratio On Zip Utilities
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since MP3 is already compressed...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2006 2:11 PM PDT

WinZip or other will not reduce the size.

Bob

Collapse -
Adjusting Compression Ratio
by JMoney97 / May 13, 2006 3:07 PM PDT

Thanks for the help Happy With files and zip utilities in general, I could not find the option (at any rate) to adjust the compression ratio. I consider myself fairly computer literate, not great...lol, but I couldn't seem to find any setting to adjust this? Which zipping utility do you recommend? Thanks again for your help,
James

Collapse -
You didn't miss a thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2006 12:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the info!
by JMoney97 / May 14, 2006 3:02 PM PDT

I checked out the page, and read up on it. I appreciate the information, and that there are people out there such as yourself to help out people like me! Thanks a bunch!

Collapse -
JM, you may hit another problem with aol
by DarCLew2 / May 13, 2006 4:14 PM PDT

I think, but I am not definite but I went to send an email that had more than 16 MB and AOL will not allow you to send it. I thought it was 20 MB. Can you imagine if I tried to send a music CD (appx 800MB) and I have WinZip 10 Pro. I can span floppies but even if I broke the CD down to one song, zipped, made an .exe of it, it would still be to large for AOL. Good Luck trying though, you may be better off snail mailing a CD. Darrell

Collapse -
Yup, I have run into that problem
by JMoney97 / May 14, 2006 3:05 PM PDT

Yes, I found that out the other day when I went to send a single 17.8 MB mp3. There has to be some application out there/method of transfering large files somehow, in a way that isn't too complicated...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.