HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Compressing Large Files?

by dirtsurfer / August 4, 2006 8:07 AM PDT

Hello,

I have WindowsXP Home Svc Pack2, Intel Celeron 1.70 GHz, 256 Ram, 74.5 GB with 80% Free. Dial UP (AOL 9.0 Top Speed)

I was trying to send some pictures to someone, and Aol (who is my internet provider) said I cannot send files larger than 16 MB as an attachment.

Is there someway for me to compress these files or change format? They are important pictures really need to send. I am not highly skilled in graphics, but I am easily taught...bring on any suggestions! Thanks

Lora Risso

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compressing Large Files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compressing Large Files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No
by jnbhoward / August 4, 2006 8:42 AM PDT

Image files are not typically compressible to any worthwhile degree.

If the files are that big, I'd suggest finding a free web hosting place, or even a free image hosting place, and upload them there. Sending them via email seems a bit impractical.

For that matter, if you're on dialup, and you're hitting a 16MB limit, it might be better to just burn the images to a CD and send it through the postal system.

Collapse -
Compressing Large Files
by Daviddude / August 4, 2006 8:48 AM PDT

Another option is to file transfer the pictuers via a messenger program like Yahoo or MSN Messenger. 16MB on a dial up will take a LONG time though...the burning to a cd and mailing it just might your best bet.

Collapse -
16 MB is the max for AOL, compressing is a no-go option
by DarCLew2 / August 4, 2006 9:27 AM PDT

I have AOL Dial-up also and when I send pictures over the internet, check size of ur pics. Best way is to copy and paste into an email and they can be resized, you may get 6 or more that will send as embedded pictures. I have 468 kb with six pictures in My Pictures, go to view and select icons. 3 800x600 wallpaper pics, 1 cam pic, a regular pic and one of me & no problem. 3 large, 2 medium & 1 small. AOL, hotmail can accept this. They do return to their regular size but just send out them in small bunches. The recipient can right click and copy them on AOL as ,bmp or .jpg. If your download site is My Documents they will be in there also. I deleted the email and Pictures Downloaded to AOL file in My Documents. that is a lot quicker than trying to compress them and send as an attachment. I have WinZip Pro 10 and could create a executable file but that would be too long and may still exceed the 16 MB Limit. Darrell L.
PS-I did get one with 10 pictures in it from hotmail.com from my aunt in CA to FL, faster than snail mail.

Collapse -
DarClew2 Your Answer
by dirtsurfer / August 4, 2006 9:53 AM PDT

Yours was the winning answer, I copied 4 of my pictures and pasted in my e-mail and no problem! It only took less than a minute to load and send.

Thank you...I'll use this info everytime I send pictures.

Thank You,
Lora Risso

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.