TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Composite or S-Video?

by Sikander / February 24, 2005 4:39 AM PST

I used to watch DVD's using the simple Audio/Video cable. I recently bought a new flat screen TV which had the Composite Video In capability, I have connected my Sony DVP NS305 DVD player to my TV through the composite option, I don't see any difference between the two, please tell me if composite video is better than the simple Audio Video interface, and also if S-Video is better than composite or not. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Composite or S-Video?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Composite or S-Video?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well...
by 3luke3 / February 24, 2005 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: Composite or S-Video?

first off, here are what the 3 main video interfaces are:

component: 3 jacks of colors red, green, & blue
S-Video: one jack with 6 pins & a plastic guide stub
composite: one yellow RCA jack

& the quality ranking is as I have them listed above with component being the best of those 3. From a dvd player... you might not notice a difference using component until you enable progressive scanning mode (otherwise known as 480p). Be sure your video output device (TV or whatever) can decode & display a 480p signal before you set your dvd player to deliver such a signal. Usually such a setting can be found in the video options menu (or whatever your specific dvd player calls it) which is usually reached using the remote.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Sikander / February 25, 2005 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: well...

Thanks man, that was helpful, I just wanted to know if all DVD players provide the progressive scan mode or not? I don't think I have ever seen that option in my Sony DVD player. Also, I think my TV does support progressive scan mode because when I play certain Playstation 2 games, they ask me to check for progressive scan and when I do check, they say, "if you can see this screen that your tv supports progressive scan mode and some 60hz 70hz complicated stuff also" So I guess my TV does the trick but do all DVD players support this thing or not. Thanks!

Collapse -
the answer is...
by 3luke3 / February 25, 2005 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

All DVD players do not support progressive scan. If you know your model type or model number then I can tell you if yours does or not for sure. You probably won't find many dvd players for sale these days that don't support progressive scan. You can probably pick one up at the clearance table at Best Buy for $25. seriously... you can find them REALLY CHEAP.

Collapse -
Hmmm.
by Sikander / February 25, 2005 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: the answer is...

Thanks, well mine is a Sony DVP-NS305 but then again, you might not know about it because it's an asian model. Also, how much difference is there between regular TV and progressive scan, will I be able to distinguish between the two clearly on my 29 inch flat Screen TV? Is progressive scan worth buying a new DVD player if my current one doesn't already have it. Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: Hmmm...
by Skrag / February 25, 2005 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm.

When you say 'flat screen' do you mean HDTV? If it is not a HD monitor, chances are you won't even notice the difference.

Collapse -
:(
by Sikander / February 25, 2005 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Hmmm...

nope, when I say flat screen, i don't mean an HDTV, I just mean a plain old big TV with just a flat screen. And I won't even see a difference....why have they included this component video option in their TV then, I need to buy better everything!!!

Collapse -
hehe
by 3luke3 / February 25, 2005 7:01 AM PST
In reply to: :(

they included the component video input because it is still a superior way to transfer a video signal with less noise. It virtually makes the signal THREE times stronger because it splits all the analog color information between 3 channels. Can anybody back me up or correct me if I'm wrong on this one? Thanks

Collapse -
Componet
by jcrobso / March 4, 2005 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: hehe

Component is the only way to watch DVD at full picture quality 740x480. Composit/video or S-Video will only give you 320x240. John

Collapse -
ya kinda....
by 3luke3 / March 4, 2005 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Componet

Lets put an asterick in there, you are talking about 480i versus 480p. Both provide 720x480, but the interlaced is essentially 30Hz & the progressive is 60hz.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!