General discussion

Completely messed up pc

Recently bought a pc on saturday.
Didn't buy a copy of windows at point of sale, so I used a copy of windows vista home premium 32-bit received with an old laptop.

Installed fine, it didn't ask for a product key though. When I got to setting up the desktop (account name, password etc) I noticed that the screen was a bit odd (at 800x600 on a 42-inch Lg screen). I then changed the resolution to the highest possible and checked out my new computer.

On the device manager i noticed that my card was not being recognised as an nvidia gtx460 just as a generic adapter, so i downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia. The driver was the 260.89 version. I did this by downloading the .exe file to my notebook, then to an external hard-drive, which i connected to the pc, copied and pasted it to the desktop then installed it. Upon completion the nvidia program restarted the computer and when it rebooted everything seemed fine as in the system welcome message my card was now displayed as a GTX460 when it wasnt there before.

I installed Stalker: Call of pripyat to give my new machine a test but the pc crashed when loading the game then blue screened when it started itself up again. When i restarted it myself there were blue lines in columns up and down the screen on the startup, when windows booted and the red dots in the background of the desktop.

I then reinstalled windows vista to try and correct but the same problem showed up everytime. I then noticed id been a huge idiot and hadn't installed the hundred odd updates for windows before the driver, inc SP1 and SP2. I then proceeded to install the SP1 when I downloaded it to the my notebook and transferred it over. During installation the system seem to restart but the display did not come back even though there was power to the tower. I waited a couple of hours and nothing changed so I turned it off and restarted. It seemed to have worked as on desktop a message said SP1 had installed but there were still bars over the screen.

Im a complete novice tbh with this and im very sorry for the length aswell. Any ideas what i should do? Ive installed vista a couple of times and formatted the hard drive before installation but the problem just seems to be worse.

System Specs: Intel i7-950
RAM 6GB
Samsung 1TB hard-drive
Nvidia GTX460
windows vista 32-bit home premium

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Completely messed up pc
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Completely messed up pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Windows

If it was an OEM copy of Vista (which is very, very likely) the license doesn't cover installing it on another machine. And it might well be bound to that laptop technically also.

Anyway, the license issue is enough to not give any help here except advising to buy another OS.
A retail copy of Windows 7 would be fine (but it's possible the shop will be able to sell you a cheaper OEM version) and should install correctly. Add all Windows 7 drivers that came with the PC and you're done. If not, it probably is a hardware issue that you have warranty for.

Kees

- Collapse -
And ...

to use more that 3 out of that 6 GB of RAM, install the 64-bit version of Windows 7. It's on the same DVD.

Kees

- Collapse -
little bit of deja vu

I since returned the pc to the manufacturer and they told me the graphics card had shorted due to a lose connection. They since replaced the card and have sent the pc back to me.

I have bought a copy 64-bit windows 7 professional and installed it to the machine upon return today. After installing all available updates through windows update the machine lost power and restarted whilst I was having it re-evaluate that windows index thing (the program which rates the pc?), as it had installed the GTX460 drivers for me. I let it restart, thinking this was part of the process. When the index hadn't changed I stupidly decided to do it again and the same thing occurred.

I unplugged the machine and can slightly smell a warm plasticy smell inside that i hadnt noticed before.

any idea whats wrong?

- Collapse -
Looks grim.

A new machine should not have such troubles. That GTX460 could require a lot of power and very careful building to avoid heat issues.

Why not get them to fix your machine?

- Collapse -
You bet!

I see multiple issues such as that OS may be for that other machine (OEM versions are modified) and a 32-bit OS is trouble when there is more than 4GB RAM.

I see no reason this OS should work on this machine properly.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info