PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Complete Newb Needs help!

by willy2001 / January 16, 2006 2:13 AM PST

Hiya peoples
I have just upgraded my computer and am having difficulty getting sound.. I have...ecsk755a mother board and pentium 4.. no sound card at the mo..

I have checked other forums and people say to go in to the bios and check the intergrated perifials section.. well when i go in to the bios i cant find it or anything to do with sound on/off enabling.
I have gone in to the control pannel and checked sound and audio devices and it says taht i have no audio device..

I cannot play any media files of any sort and it is becoming quite annoying..

I am a real newb at anything outside of windows so any advice on how to "get some bloomin sound" would be a bonus..

Any tips???

thanks in advance..

willy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Complete Newb Needs help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Complete Newb Needs help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Anything in the BIOS
by Ray Harinec / January 16, 2006 2:44 AM PST

regarding AC97??

If you have the mobo, did you install the sound drivers from the driver CD that came with the mobo? I suspect from the symptoms that the drivers have not been installed.

The manual should tell you what sound chip and sound driver the mobo uses if it is not the AC97.

Collapse -
done
by willy2001 / January 16, 2006 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: Anything in the BIOS

Have installed all drivers and it still has no sound..
AC97?? i have no clue what yaou meen

Collapse -
It means you have on-board sound
by chuckieu / January 16, 2006 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: done

The BIOS will probably only say "Sound". Should be set to
"Auto". If that is not a choice, then "On". This is usually set correctly as a default. It sounds to me like you didn't install sound (probably not listed as sound)
drivers. chuck

Collapse -
bios
by willy2001 / January 16, 2006 3:06 AM PST

checked the whole thing.. cannot find anything to do with sound.. as i said in a previous post i am a complete newb on anything other than windows.. guidence in to how to check it n the bios would be greatly appreciated.. Chuck!!!

Collapse -
No AC97 in the BIOS???
by Ray Harinec / January 16, 2006 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: bios

May not mention sound related to the AC97. There also may be another location to enable sound. Both the AC97 and Sound must be enabled in the BIOS.

The ECS site shows no such model number. Google search shows it as an AMD CPU type.

One of us is badly confused.

Collapse -
Drivers
by willy2001 / January 16, 2006 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: No AC97 in the BIOS???

ok, checked the bios for all the points posted in pevious messages and all are enabled..
Went to the manifacturers website to download the sound drivers but they will not install.. gets to about 20% then it exits with a 6 digit error message. i am totally now out of all resourses on how to get some sound on this machine..
the website i went to was www.ecs.com.tw and searched for k7s5a pro drivers..
There are 3 on there an neither of them will install..
I dont have the manufactuers disk that came with the board as i bought it second hand from an aquatance in the "Pub"..lol

Collapse -
Your first post said 755 NOT 7S5.
by Ray Harinec / January 16, 2006 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: Drivers

So my posts re the 755 can be ignored, obviously.

Collapse -
7s5
by willy2001 / January 16, 2006 6:05 AM PST

Sorry, just read the original post.. my board IS ecs k7s5a..

Collapse -
Are certain of the mobo model?
by Ray Harinec / January 16, 2006 4:10 AM PST

The only such that I find uses an AMD CPU [not Intel P4].

It does use the AC97. The BIOS will normally simply say AC97, nothing about sound.

Collapse -
I found a 755, it is a socket 754
by Ray Harinec / January 16, 2006 4:45 AM PST

for the AMD 64 bit CPU's. I downloaded the manual and there are clearly entries in the BIOS re the audio [not the word sound].

If this is the mobo that you have I'll give you the exact details.

Collapse -
May be the poster needs to download/run CPUZ
by VAPCMD / January 16, 2006 6:05 AM PST

That'll nail down the motherboard mfg., model # and rev #. Looks like there are at least 4 versions of this MB.

Socket 462

K7S5A (1.1)

K7S5A (3.1)

K7S5A (3.1B)

K7S5A Pro (5.0)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!