Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Complaint about Cnet SPAM passed to FTC

by Dale Johnston / January 28, 2004 4:08 AM PST

Cnet have yet again violated my mailbox with your unsolicited trash, received today and proving your company's promise to remove me from all mailing lists was no more than the usual dishonourable empty words I have come to expect from greedy yank businesses.

So since you clearly consider it acceptable to abuse my legal rights and treat me like scum, I have now passed your company details on to the anti-spam organisations, including the FTC.

I sincerely hope this causes a negative impact on your ability to market in the future and on your business revenues, then perhaps you will learn that when a person tells Cnet to back off, you obey without argument.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Complaint about Cnet SPAM passed to FTC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Complaint about Cnet SPAM passed to FTC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
please pass the cheese with this wine
by Mark G / January 28, 2004 5:45 AM PST

Collapse -
Jeez Dale.......
by Glenda / January 29, 2004 12:51 PM PST

with all you know about PC's, you can't just filter this out??? You sound so bitter all the time now, I really worry about you! I really do!

Glenda

Collapse -
Filtering is not the issue
by Dale Johnston / January 30, 2004 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Jeez Dale.......

The spamming scum are filtered now, in fact the whole ignorant company's domain is blocked at the mail server.

I instructed them to cease all spamming activities, and they wrote saying they would do so. Empty words, just as I would expect from an unprincipled yank corporation, as the trash continue to spam as before in direct violation of my rights to the private and peaceful enjoyment of my mailbox.

THAT is the issue, and what the self-righteous goons of this community have to say about it is irrelevant and immaterial to the extent of the spammer's offence.

Collapse -
All You need, Dale.......
by Glenda / January 30, 2004 12:26 PM PST

Is to worry about the big problems, The little ones mean nothing:( You, IMO get to worked up over things that don't even matter. If CNET is such a problem for you go someplace that doesn't give you the headaches.
BTW American Corporations are not the only spammers.
Oh well:((

Glenda

Collapse -
Re:All You need, Dale.......
by Bob__B / January 31, 2004 1:06 AM PST

Glenda,

Just a thought.
Some folks are not happy unless they have something to chew on.

You are suggesting that he remove that something.
That might make him very unhappy.

Dale is a smart guy and he "chooses" not to filter this stuff.

Perhaps there is a hidden reason behind that choice.

Collapse -
NT I agree, you hit the nail right on the head! :(
by Glenda / January 31, 2004 1:24 AM PST
Sad
Collapse -
What I think happened... NOT spam
by Angeline Booher / February 2, 2004 3:51 AM PST

What I suspect...

Perhaps when you registered you did not remove the check marks at the bottom of the registratio page. There are a bunch of them.

As you already know how to contact CNet, contact them and ask how to edit out those check marks.

The emails I get from CNet have an "unsubsribe" option at the bottom..

THEY ARE NOT SPAM! By leaving the boxes checked, you gave permission.

Most sites I have seen have such boxes or yes and no asking about receiving mailings. I know I look at those I visit very carefully for them.

BTW, in cases of real spam, I find the best procedure of complaint is to contact the abuse section of my ISP. If I felt it necessary to complain to my government, the FTC would not be the agencyy I would choose.

Angeline

Collapse -
Re:What I think happened... NOT spam
by Dale Johnston / February 2, 2004 3:08 PM PST

1. I did uncheck all boxes when I registered here, it is the very first thing I look for, as the assumed "right" to violate of my mailbox is something I have come to expect from yankee companies. Compare that to UK based services, including ZDnet UK, where you need to opt IN, not opt out, as they cannot assume any right to spam by law.

2. Since the mail address I use is "forbidden", I have no way of contacting Cnet, and cannot even log into my user preferences. This shows the hypocrisy of Cnet Corporation, blocking alleged spam itself while trashing my mailbox with their own.

3. I received an email from Cnet saying they had unsubscribed me from ALL mailings. The fact I still receive spam from them proves them as barefaced liars they really are, and how unfit to be trusted they are.

But hey, they're a yank company, so are without priniciples or honour, thus they are only living down to my expectations of the same.

Collapse -
So! I ask again..........
by Glenda / February 3, 2004 1:52 AM PST

Why do you want to post on CNET boards if you hate Yanks so bad? Sheesh Dale I personally think all you want is something to gripe about!
Glenda

Collapse -
There is a silver lining...
by Angeline Booher / February 3, 2004 2:10 AM PST

You have another item to add to your list of what you dislike about things American.

And this one, CNet, (as did ZDNet) provides you a platform on which to enumerate them.

God Bless America!

Angeline

Collapse -
Re:Re:What I think happened... NOT spam
by Mark G / February 3, 2004 8:45 AM PST

and your being the same inane person as usual
so how about this you dont come to our yankee forums and will stop spamming you:)

Collapse -
Yankee Doodle Dandy...
by John Robie / February 3, 2004 11:24 AM PST

Glad he is not P.O. at Texans or good ole southern boys. He mentions "Yanks" in all his posts of this thread. Wink

Collapse -
ROFL...nt
by MzLee / February 3, 2004 12:01 PM PST
In reply to: Yankee Doodle Dandy...

Collapse -
One word.
by James Denison / February 20, 2004 1:52 AM PST

lexapro.

Collapse -
Re:this may not be the answer, but it is (was?) one of the problems
by jonah jones / February 20, 2004 6:51 PM PST

if you ever got to the "register page" by mistake, (and even if you 'backspaced'out of it) it automatically added your name to the cnet mailing list...

Collapse -
Re:Complaint about Cnet SPAM passed to FTC
by Mary Kay / February 20, 2004 9:35 PM PST

Dale we all get unsolicited mail both "e" and snail. Set your filter as others have said. This goes much deeper than spam. You have an axe to grind, either with all "yanks" or what I don't know. If you can't see fit to forgive past arguments, stay away from the forum, if for no other reason than to protect your physical and mental health. I hope you will rethink your "get even at all costs" plan. You often have much to contribute and I would miss you if you leave but at the same time if this makes you this unhappy you need to get a different life.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Complaint about Cnet SPAM passed to FTC
by James Denison / February 21, 2004 8:13 AM PST

Some cute little piece of American fluff gave him the toss, and he's been upset since with all Americans.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.