Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Compatible Virus-Guard to Windows Vista

by Harsha R / January 12, 2007 10:39 AM PST

Please anobody tell me what is the compatible virus guard to Windows Vista?

Message was edited by: admin to remove email address

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compatible Virus-Guard to Windows Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compatible Virus-Guard to Windows Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Available Antivirus programs for Vista
by Donna Buenaventura / January 12, 2007 11:25 AM PST
Collapse -
Best antivirus (preferably from Symantec) for Windows VIsta.
by smiledoctor / June 2, 2007 3:38 AM PDT

Good day :). I'd like to ask which antivirus works best with Windows Vista Home Premium? I've checked the link previously stated in the above post, and noticed that Symantec was not mentioned (or perhaps I overlooked it?).

I've been using Norton Systemworks for years. I'm particularly satisfied with it, sadly I don't think it's compatible with Vista. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Norton Internet Security is.

May I please ask if anyone can suggest any Symantec antivirus product ( and perhaps other brands as well) that would work best with Vista? Perhaps something similar to Norton Systemworks?

I've been searching the web, trying to find the answers myself, but I seem to make myself even more confused.

Thank you for your time. Suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Collapse -
NAV 2007, NIS 2007
Collapse -
Thank you
by smiledoctor / June 2, 2007 3:08 PM PDT
In reply to: NAV 2007, NIS 2007

^Thanks Donna. The link was very helpful. Happy

I'll probably go with either Norton Internet Security or Norton 360 (not listed there but Symantec says Norton 360 is vista compatible).

I have a confession. The reason I use Norton is because I'm not knowledgeable enough ( and not experienced enough) to use free software like Avg or Avast as an antivirus. I do know that AVG is lightweight and perhaps can detect viruses automatically. Still, I have this fear that if something serious ever happened, I wouldn't know what to do.

In your opinion, do you think AVG or Avast is effective enough as an antivirus for the Vista platform? Are there any glitches/problems encountered with these antivirus programs and Vista?

Regarding Norton Internet Security, will the antivirus function work on say a Microsoft word document even if I'm not using the internet?

If my questions sound silly, please forgive me. Perhaps I've already found the answers through browsing the web, I still need a little bit of guidance though so I can fully comprehend it. I sincerely appreciate and I eagerly await your input.

Thank you for your time.

Collapse -
No silly questions :-)
by Donna Buenaventura / June 2, 2007 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

"I'll probably go with either Norton Internet Security or Norton 360 (not listed there but Symantec says Norton 360 is vista compatible)."
Yes, 360 is Vista compatible: http://www.symantec.com/norton360/about/sysreq.html
I like its online backup feature.
I tried 360 when it is still a beta product. It's good for beginners.

"I have a confession. The reason I use Norton is because I'm not knowledgeable enough ( and not experienced enough) to use free software like Avg or Avast as an antivirus. I do know that AVG is lightweight and perhaps can detect viruses automatically. Still, I have this fear that if something serious ever happened, I wouldn't know what to do.

In your opinion, do you think AVG or Avast is effective enough as an antivirus for the Vista platform? Are there any glitches/problems encountered with these antivirus programs and Vista?
"

Using Avast or AVG do not require you to be expert. AVG and avast and also antivir from http://free-av.com are easy to set-up.
Yes, those freeware antivirus are effective and works with Vista. Many users are using these free antivirus program and I personally recommend it to users who wish freeware, lightweight antivirus.
The only limitation is support and some features that is only available to their paid versions e.g. AVG Pro, Antivir Premium or Avast Pro.

I suggest that you try Antivir or AVG. Avast is nice also but I personally find the "scanner" as slow.

"Regarding Norton Internet Security, will the antivirus function work on say a Microsoft word document even if I'm not using the internet?"
Yes.

Collapse -
Thanks
by smiledoctor / June 3, 2007 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: No silly questions :-)

Thank you very much. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome! :-)
by Donna Buenaventura / June 3, 2007 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?