PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Compatible graphics card?

by nutter130 / July 17, 2008 5:01 AM PDT

Ok, first off, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, i hardly visit this forum, but it looks like the right place.

Here's the problem:

I have recently bought a new graphics card (new) from eBay, i checked and double checked over all of my computer specs to make sure it was compatible. It didn't work giving a beep code of 2 short 1 long. I looked up the error code and got:

"Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue."

So, i told the person the graphics card must be faulty as my old one worked. He took it back and says he has tested it and its working perfectly fine, which after some more troubleshooting leaves my motherboard. What i ask is are these two compatible?

Motherboard Specs
Manufacturer: Packard Bell BV
Model: Cuba MS-7031 (1.0)

Graphics Card
BFG NVidia GeForce 8800GT OC2 512MB 8800 GT (sorry if links aren't aloud: http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr88512gtoc2e.aspx

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone would be kind enough to let me know if these two together are compatible, as i dont want to go out and buy a new motherboard to find out the graphics card is actually faulty.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compatible graphics card?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compatible graphics card?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's try "the usual."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 5:08 AM PDT

That's one power hungry video card. Did your machine have the chops to power it?

Collapse -
Sorry!
by nutter130 / July 17, 2008 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's try "the usual."

Sorry, forgot to add my power supply information, yes it has plenty, the card needed 450w and my power supply is 600w. Thanks for the quick reply.

Collapse -
Is this your board?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 6:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Nope
by nutter130 / July 17, 2008 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this your board?

Nope, thats not my motherboard, i've had a quick look to find it online but can't. I wouldn't of been able to get the beep code without the right slot though. The motherboard does support PCI-Express graphics cards, but the person i bought it off suggests that it's just incompatible with the graphics card itself.

Collapse -
(NT) Time to find the motherboard details.
by Kees Bakker / July 17, 2008 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope
Collapse -
Motherboard info
by nutter130 / July 17, 2008 6:52 AM PDT

I'm guessing the information in the first post wasn't enough, and i've managed to hunt down the info with a bit more diggin:

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=spec_cuba

that page is for the motherboard i have, if thats not enough then let me know what i have to give you to help.

Thanks

Collapse -
Looks OK. PCI-E 16X and 1X.
by Kees Bakker / July 17, 2008 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard info

If you're sure you used the right slot, return the card because it doesn't work with you.
Then go to a nearby computer shop, buy a nice card there and let them install it.

Kees

Collapse -
by nutter130 / July 17, 2008 7:18 AM PDT

Well i'm sure it's the right slot as there's only one slot on the motherboard it will fit into...

The guy is sure it's not the graphics card fault and he won't let me return it because the seal's been broken and he can't sell it etc.

I just wanted to know if there would be any compatibility issues between the motherboard and graphics card, because otherwise the person i bought it off is lying and the graphics is dead.

Last question: If i was to take the graphics card to a shop and get it checked out, and it works. I will buy a new motherboard, will my current processor work with it? Or will i have to make sure that's compatible aswell.

Collapse -
I don't see incompatibilities.
by Kees Bakker / July 17, 2008 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

With a new motherboard you MIGHT need a new CPU and you MIGHT need new RAM. That depends on what you have now and what you buy. Another videocard might be the cheaper solution.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.