Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Compatible ??

This is a two step question. I just had my HDD crash in my XP Pro machine (Dell Dimension 8300). I use the machine for business and personal use. I've spoken with Bob Proffit and Kees regarding the HD problem who informed me of its failure. The machine is a 2003 model, what is the opinion on installing a new HDD and reinstalling XP Pro versus a new machine with Vista? (Cost is a medium concern)I've heard several negatives about Vista and haven't spoken with actual users. I've read the reviews in several of the magazines which makes me question the decison. The second question is, does Quickbooks 2003 run on a Vista machine? I've got all my business files backed up on disk and need to be sure if I buy a Vista machine that I'll be able to install the XP backup's to it. Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compatible ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compatible ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My opinion

In reply to: Compatible ??

My opinion, for whatever it's worth, is that Vista isn't THAT bad. It has its own set of annoyances, but overall I'm not finding it to be nearly as bad as all the horror stories have made it out to be. I've only been using it full time for less than a week, so there's still a chance it could disappoint me tomorrow or the next day.

Something I've been saying for a very long time, but very few people seem to really pay attention to, is that if you put Windows onto a crap system with crap hardware, it will run like crap. Give Windows decent hardware to work with, and it will generally be quite stable and problem free. Windows certainly could use with some additional fault tolerance, since it will frequently trip and fall on systems that you can usually get a reasonably stable Linux config going on, but most of the people who complain about it crashing and what not are probably HP/Compaq system owners. Not all to be sure, but a good sized majority I would wager.

It'll take a little work to sort of tune Vista, and switch off some of the stupid bits, but the same is really true of any version of Windows.

However, I would say that in the end, if your current system is in good working order, save the hard drive, and is presently meeting your needs adequately, I'd just spend $100 or so on a new hard drive as opposed to buying a new system completely. Unless you can write the new system off as a business expense on your taxes or something.

I suppose if you did get a new system, you could still always get a new drive for the old one and keep it around as a spare. Or dedicate one to personal use and the other to business functions.

I couldn't answer you on the Quickbooks question. As yet, my finances are not so complicated that I need something like that.

The moral of the story I think, is that if you run Windows on a decent quality system and with sufficient hardware power (2-3X recommended) you'll be just fine. If you try and save a couple of bucks and buy a system from HP/Compaq or one of the other quality bottom feeders, you will pay for it.

Collapse -
I agree...

In reply to: My opinion

Vista is more fault-tolerant, recovering from errors that sent XP scrambling for the BSOD, but does possess more compatibility issues (with both hardware and software). It includes better backup functionality out of the box, but does not offer a repair installation option at all. It offers a glitzier user interface but consumes greater system resources. The list goes on. Thus, it's really a trade-off or, in your case, a coin flip.

John

P.S. Quickbooks 2003 has known compatibility issues with Vista and isn't what I would consider reliable. Time to upgrade?

Collapse -
Not good news...

In reply to: I agree...

Thanks for the information. The news from you John has brought me great sadness, lol! I'm now in a real catch 22 situation. I simply don't have the resources to purchase a new system and new business software. Not being sure of a compatible restoration of my QB files really causes issues, as you might expect. I guess I should send a fruit basket to Bill M$ Gates. He has done a favor for all of us at least once... Thanks again.

Tig

Collapse -
i think windows xp better in craches

In reply to: Compatible ??

i had windows xp for 7 years on my old computer and in my new computer too it never did a crach but i had got vista it made some crahes and after all damged my ram but this is not the problem i had vista again it had been so slow but i had xp with it (multi-boot) so i removed it and had only xp but then i wanted vista again i had it. i made some crahes but it stoped (because i fixed it) and now it is working good for 3 months and i had updated it to vista sp1 and i am posting this message from it but xp never crahed with me so i advice xp for long time working and thank you

Collapse -
Thank you Mohamed

In reply to: i think windows xp better in craches

I have found several reasons why I'm going to try and avoid switching to Vista at this time. Many of my business programs won't operate adequately and the rest of my software is questionable. I don't like questionable, at all. I have borrowed an XP Pro system that I can set up and use until I figure things out. I'm using my wife's business laptop now and she's worried that I'll "DO" something to it! I have purchased a new WD 80Gb Caviar HDD on EBay for an excellent price. It's all but impossible to find a dealer that will sell the smaller hard drives now. I simply didn't want or need a 250+ Gb HDD for that system. It came with a 40 gig drive and I got an 80 (nib) for $50. Not a bad deal. I'm very happy for all the help I received from everyone here on the forum! We've got an excellent bunch of people here and I'm quite fortunate for having found this site!! Thanks to all...

Tig

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.