Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

compatibility wizard not working

by xjmpr / August 22, 2006 11:09 PM PDT

My compatability wizard and system restore are not working ! Do I have to reinstall my windows xp home edition sp2 OS, or is there another way to repair them? I have a Dell 4500 series/640MB RAM and just recentley upgraded my video card with a GeForce 5200 AGP card.Please help if you can...Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: compatibility wizard not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: compatibility wizard not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Think this over.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 11:21 PM PDT

"My car doesn't work."

Armed with such detail all I can write is your car needs repair.

Details such as what happens, what error messages (or messages) you see are clues to what may fix each area. Also nice to know is the OS is up to date.

Look up XP SR.INF on google.com which notes articles such as http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1061090103 in which a common SR repair is noted. But while safe to do I can't know if that will help.

Any BETA software should be revealed and what pest control you are using.

Bob

Collapse -
compatibility wizard
by xjmpr / August 23, 2006 7:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Think this over.

My OS is up to date. The only error message I receive is that windows cannot restore! As for the compatibility wizard, there is no error message. However, the lettering on the buttons are not there! Thanks I'll try your suggestion

Collapse -
When I see that, almost always...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 9:33 PM PDT
In reply to: compatibility wizard

All the restore points are gone forever.

-> But what is happening that you need to restore?

That's the underlying issue that need revealing. In the meantime, look at the SR.INF method as well as disabling and enabling SR so that it gets a fresh start.

"the lettering on the buttons are not there!" in compatibilit wizard is a great clue. Please keep those coming since without them there isn't enough to offer any repair ideas.

In closing, you didn't tell what pest control (antivirus, spyware) you were using. Both the SR and other issues are common spyware damage. After use of SR.INF, and the toggle of SR try scans with EWIDO (google.com) and HOUSECALL then eject what they find.

Bob

Collapse -
compatibility wizard/more clues
by xjmpr / August 25, 2006 9:38 PM PDT

My spyware is Ad-Aware, My Antivirus is Avira Antivir personal edition{free},hope this helps.

Collapse -
Answer this question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2006 10:40 PM PDT

What caused the need for System Restore?

If you can't answer my questions and tell more, then you are certainly headed to some repair counter.

Bob

Collapse -
not 100% sure
by xjmpr / August 27, 2006 8:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Answer this question.

I'm not really sure anymore. I think I was trying to install an application or game. But it dose'nt seem to matter because they are both back! The only thing I've done so far is to switch the SR off and on again. I have not yet tried to use them, I'm affraid to. I did not check the comp. wizard first so I dont know if by switching the SR was responsible for that or not. I have 2 registry cleaners,Winaso and Abexo.Might have they been the cause? I did save your suggestions,just in case.Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
Yes. Some registry cleaners will trip up SR.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2006 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: not 100% sure

System Restore (SR) has been tripped up in the past by registry cleaners, virus, pests, drivers and more. It's not a perfect tool or impervious to what we do outside of the norm.

But the question still remains why you needed to use it.

-> Turning it off and back on is a known good cure.

Bob

Collapse -
also have
by xjmpr / August 28, 2006 7:34 PM PDT

I also have a couple of junk file cleaners.Trash it and Defender Pro Utilities.I also suspected those. I had CCleaner but I dumped it because it has tripped up my SR. I maybe have a tendacy to over clean my system. Is that possible? I'll keep investegating the situation. Thanks again for all your help Steve

Collapse -
System Restorre and Compatibility Wizard
by Themisive / August 28, 2006 7:48 PM PDT
In reply to: also have

I know the problem, SR has always worked for me, but though I have had Compy Wizard on my machine for the whole period that I was testing it's workability.

As this period extends to the whole life of the Windows XP O/S, it is obvious that I need to have a reliable system. My Compy Wizard has never worked, and this often means that older programmes requiring Wiondows 95 or 98SE will not work.

However, often the manufactuer's website will have an XP patch on it, thus negating the need for the Compy Wizard.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?