Desktops forum

General discussion

comparison of processors

by rowinganteater / March 26, 2008 6:58 PM PDT

first off thank you for all the posters on this forum, ive learned so much from just reading different posts on cnet.

im building a desktop that will mainly be used for gaming. ive read online and heard from various IT people that AMD hasn't quite caught up with Intel yet processor wise. im looking to spend in the ballpark of $1200 for the entire system, and ive budgeted $200-$300 for a processor. that being said:

what are the differences between the Core 2 Duo and the Core 2 Quad models of processors? within each of those two models, which would be the most appropriate for gaming?

im not looking for the next military super computer, rather decent to good performance, so if you think id be better off with a processor under $200, please feel free to recommend one to me. the Core 2 Duo E6750 ($180 on newegg) originally caught my eye as a decent processor.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: comparison of processors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: comparison of processors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do google that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2008 9:37 PM PDT

"what are the differences between the Core 2 Duo and the Core 2 Quad models of processors?" would have your answer in no time at all.

But the answer about dollars and your budget changes each week so I never tell which to get today. I'd be wrong in a week. Just set your price and go up to that dollar limit and if you are above 2GHz you are likely to run anything made today.

Where the real work for games is not the CPU but the GPU. For that you set your budget and for me, this list -> http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/05/the_best_gaming_graphics/

Bob

Collapse -
get the e6750
by ramarc / March 27, 2008 12:44 AM PDT

put the $100 you saved on the cpu into a better graphics card like a 8800gts/512.

Collapse -
(NT) thank you
by rowinganteater / March 27, 2008 3:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
CPU Flags
by welrdelr / March 28, 2008 8:43 AM PDT

The flags for the cpu architectures are the same. A few may share different names.
There is no difference in the processors listed except for speed.
If you are playing the same set of games on a computer, then a RISC based processor would be a better choice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.