Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Comparing two laptops before I buy, I'm a laptop noob.

by Lenbob10 / January 28, 2009 2:43 AM PST

I recently purchased a Dell Studio 15 with problems right out of the box, then I got an exchange with problems right out of the box so I'm getting a refund and planning to purchase a new laptop. I have my eyes on the new Lenovo IdeaPad Y530 and was wondering, ***is it better than the Studio 15 and what is the quality and performance of that laptop.*** I have read reviews on it, but I want to hear opinions from a variety of people...

I'll be using the laptop for entertainment and multimedia, home use.

And/or ***what other laptops are good for entertainment and multimedia for $800 or less?***

I don't know much about laptops so I need all the help possible...

Thank you for the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comparing two laptops before I buy, I'm a laptop noob.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comparing two laptops before I buy, I'm a laptop noob.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't speak for that model but I like Lenovo
by Steven Haninger / January 28, 2009 3:23 AM PST

and they still seem to have the same quality that the IBMs were known for. Solid construction, good keyboards and less pre-loaded crappy software than most. If you get it on line from Lenovo, make sure to check for their ecoupon discounts that often knock off an additional 10% from the cost.

Collapse -
Question about specs as well.
by Lenbob10 / January 28, 2009 3:50 AM PST

Do I NEED 3 GB of RAM for entertainment, media and overall multitasking, or is 2 GB of RAM just fine?

Also, what would 3GB of RAM do for me compared to 2GB of RAM?

Collapse -
If Vista, you probably want 3
by Steven Haninger / January 28, 2009 5:14 AM PST

Some Lenovo models offer a "downgrade" to XP Pro but at a price. I don't know about this one. They would do just fine with 2 gigs and, in fact, aren't bad with just 1 gig. One of the things you will probably want to do with any laptop from is visit msconfig and remove some of the unnecessary startup items to free as much RAM as you can. You'll have to research these so I can't tell you specifically what's important other than real time AV protection. Some will deal with special keypad functions and pointers. You may want these too but much will probably be of little value and just take up resources.

Collapse -
256m
by repete_smile / January 28, 2009 6:30 AM PST

I have an ancient system with XP and 256 megabytes of RAM and it runs fine. On 1 gigabyte, it should run really well.

Collapse -
I forgot to mention....
by Lenbob10 / January 28, 2009 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: 256m

I forgot to mention that I have Windows Vista Home Premium...

Collapse -
Sorry to hear about your Dell
by darkzenlord / January 30, 2009 1:27 AM PST

Dell seems to be having many problems with there inspiron series laptops. The Studio series make very good multimedia laptops, however the quality drawbacks are depressing. HP makes great entertainment laptops and for a very reasonable price. I would give those a look. Lenovo still makes good durable laptops so it would be worth your while to check there as well.

As said earlier, Vista takes quite a bit of system to run. 3Gb+ would be my recommendation. Even after a fresh boot the system runs at 1.6g Page file. On a typical XP you would see about half that. So Memory is very important to Vista.

Check those HP's out. I don't have a model off the top of my head, but I do know they have always marketed entertainment and built them accordingly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?