PC Hardware forum

General discussion

comparing two CPUs side by side: diverging results

by longtalker / January 14, 2009 11:20 PM PST

How can I compare two CPUs to see which one is faster? I know the answer to this will probably depend on the type of application/benchmark used, however I would guess that in most cases you can decide which one is generally faster.

The reason I'm posting this instead of checking benchmarks for myself is that I am confused by these two charts (the only ones that I found to actually rank several CPU models in the same searchable list):
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html
and
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
The two lists seem to contradict each other quite often. For example, in the first list, the Intel Pentium Dual Core T3200 (rank: 91) seems to be well slower than the Intel Core2 Duo T5800 (rank: 56), while in the second list, T3200 even gets a higher passmark (1049) than T5800 does (1002).

Also, looking just at the first list, it seems the T8300 (rank: 28) is faster than the T8400 (rank: 35). It would make sense that the higher model number would also be faster. I'd be prepared to trust these charts that this isn't actually how Intel names their products, but I'd expect to see more or less similar results in different charts.

So which of these two (if any) should be trusted?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: comparing two CPUs side by side: diverging results
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: comparing two CPUs side by side: diverging results
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a long time observation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 11:52 PM PST

If the benchmarks differ by as little as 10% then for all intent the CPUs are equal. The TOTAL PACKAGE weighs heavily on the final benchmark.

What good is a sizzling hot fast CPU if you tag it with slow graphics and a 4200 RPM hard disk?

Step back and benchmark the entire unit.
Bob

Collapse -
comparison
by ramarc / January 15, 2009 2:12 AM PST

your first link to notebookcheck.net does not really rank processors by performance since many entries don't have any benchmark figures.

t8400 is an odd chip that's not even listed by intel. http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ParentRadio=All&ProcFam=2643&SearchKey=
it's probably a CPU released to a select few vendors.

the t8400 is 2.26ghz, 1066mhz, 3mb l2 cache but
the t8300 is 2.4ghz, 800mhz fsb, 3mb l2 cache
the faster fsb of the t8400 helps a bit in some apps, but it can't overcome the faster frequency of the t8300 (which will be faster overall).
t5800 is only 2.0ghz, 800mhz, 2mb l2 cache so it's significantly slower than the t8400/8300.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.