General discussion

Compare and Contrast

I currently use Windows at home, and Macintosh at school. I find things I like in both, but not being elidgible for a job (only 13 creates a problem) makes it hard for me to get both; let alone that its sensible. Then came to mind: Linux. After searching the web, I came to no avail. So in desperation, I am looking into forums to find out about Linux.

First off, how does it compare to Windows, feature wise. Next, likewise to Macintosh. I constantly hear about security, but thatt doesnt bother me as I have no extremely private information.

Last off, please rate the different features. Any and all posts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Compare and Contrast
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Compare and Contrast
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Here's a big surprise.

"Linux" the OS is not really graphical. It's just the OS that "X" runs on top of and can be anything a person puts their mind to.

Or you can boot Linux and see a character 80x25 screen.

But after that amazing statement, many will run X, select some graphic shell (KDE, Gnome, other) and from there on out it starts to look like Mac/PC in many ways.

Bob

- Collapse -
Bad Day Bob?

To answer your question would take a year. Linux is an OS and in many cases is free. What Bob pointed out to you was that Linux uses a GUI seperately to show windows. This may sound bad, but it isn't. It is EXTREMELY customizable and can look like Mac OS or Windows. This question does comes up alot and I bet you're tired of hearinig it BOB. If you're really into it, goto
http:\\www.linux.org
get some key facts and when you think you know enough to choose a distibution, go here.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6617-0.html?forumID=11&threadID=33073&messageID=381083

- Collapse -
Linux on a bad day is as good as ...

Windows on a good day.

The question doesn't come up a lot, but I felt it was worth noting that Linux is very unlike "Windows" in respect to that graphic shell that we see. As such, a direct comparision from Linux to Windows is much like comparing DOS and MAC OSX.

Bob

- Collapse -
Live CD's

There are a number of Live CD's available today which give a whole new vista to newbies on linux. You can do much with a Live CD without even installing it. They run in Ram. Some of the top rated ones are Mepis; Knoppix (which started the concept); Kanotix; and others.

What one does is try the Live CD, see if it finds your video, try stuff in general, then if you like it, use a partition tool such as Mandrake install CD, or Partition Magic, partition your machine, and then tell your live cd to install.

It is alleged that Kanotix is one of the easiest to install.

I have had big problems with main stream distros. Unless you pay for Mandrake, you have to do an awful lot of downloading. I have used it for 5 years, but next time I reinstall, I am going to install a live CD.

If you have fast internet, you can download a bunch, burn them, and try them live, at no charge.

CNET Forums

Forum Info