Laptops forum

General discussion

Compaq X1000 vs. Toshiba M30-0RUU9

by broiyan / August 3, 2004 11:51 AM PDT

these two units are available to me at the same price, both are 1.5GHz and 512MB but the Toshiba is a store demo and the lowest model of the M30 series.

Which has the better looking display for text?

Which has the better keyboard?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq X1000 vs. Toshiba M30-0RUU9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq X1000 vs. Toshiba M30-0RUU9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Compaq X1000 vs. Toshiba M30-0RUU9
by KenSanramon / August 3, 2004 12:31 PM PDT

I assume the Toshiba model you are looking at is the M35S320 -- that sold for about 1449.00 after rebates and has the Banias 1.5 Pentium M (1mb L2 system cache).
It weighs 6.2 pounds and does not have the new Trubrite XGA screen on it similar to Sony Xbrite (on the more expensive new Toshiba M35S456 at Circuit City for 1999 including DVD burner).

You have not told me what model you are looking at for the Compaq -- is it the X1360US ? That is what I bought at Circuit City in late May for 1299.00 after rebates (1.4 Pentium M banias). It weighs 6.5 pounds

If these two models are correct the LCD's are nearly identical (as this Toshiba does not have Trubrite).

The keyboard has a better feel on the Compaq X1000 or sister model HPZT3000 series (in black).

Toshiba has slightly better reliability but not by too much but if the price was exactly the same you might want the Toshiba. But I got the Compaq for 150 less at the time and I am very happy with it.

The Compaq has ATI 9200 32mb dedicated video and the Toshiba has Nvidia 32 mb dedicated video

If you are getting a really good price on either consider it but you you would be better off otherwise ordering the HP/Compaq or Toshiba custom order online"

Why:

The 1.6 725 Pentium M and above are the new Dothan line-- they have double the L2 system cache and only cost $50 dollars more online.

You can order less memory (256mb instead of the 512mb these 2 likely have in the store)and then save money and buy more memory yourself for much less later

if you are a student you can get a discount ordering custom at HP (not sure about Toshiba), there is a 100 rebate for HP/Compaq through 9/1/04 for ordering custom.

Come to X1000forums.com if you want to view pricing and typical custom order specifications for either the ZT3000 HP or X1000 Compaq.

Or, consider ordering the Toshiba M35 custom which can also get you the 1.6 Pentium M Dothan or above and the Trubrite XGA screen.

Both will get 3.5 - 4 hours using wi-fi all the time or more battery life if not using wi-fi and doing simple programs like Microsoft Office.

DVD's all the time will get similar battery time to wi-fi.

Heavy use of the hard drive (Doom or something else) will get lower battery life but still way better than a Pentium 4.

Also, if you order custom I recommend getting a 64mb video RAM (instead of 32mb) for $50 more and get a 5400rpm hard drive to 50% faster than the hard drive in the store models at 4200rpm.

Collapse -
by broiyan / August 3, 2004 12:42 PM PDT

Nope it's not an Toshiba M35 with Xbrite its an M30. It's this:

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/specifications.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=1&product=2390&part=2050

The Compaq X1000 is a X1460CA and I think it's probably newer stock so it's got 802.11g instead of .11b and I noticed there's a scroll down feature which I like but wasn't able to try because the staff were too busy.

My uses for it will mainly be Office and Explorer so I care about the which display causes less fatigue and which keyboard allows faster typing.

Collapse -
by broiyan / August 3, 2004 12:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 3, 2004 12:58 PM PDT

OK, you must be in Canada as the Compaq model X1460CA indicates Canada .. my X1360US is US of course.

So, you may be more limited in your ordering options.

However, I can tell you this : The Toshiba M30 is the same as the M35 (M30 designates custom order and M35 prebuilt in the US).

It states the L2 system cache is 1mb so that is the older Banias Pentium M cpu like I have (but I have a 1.4). If you get a Pentium 1.6 Pentium M or higher (along with a 7xx code of 725 or higher) it will be the Dothan Pentium M with 2mb L2 system cache.

I have found the 1460US online at Hpshopping.com (US model)and it indicates it has the 705 Pentium M 1.5 mhz also which is the 1mb L2 system cache. The 715 Pentium M 1.5 is a Dothan but neither one of these is a 715 (705 is only 7xx Pentium M model out that is NOT the newer Dothan line).

Both of these have the 80gb 4200 hard drive.

I shopped both of these notebooks and bought the X1360US at the time as the keyboard feel is slightly better and the price was lower than the Toshiba by $150 US at the time in May (1299 for compaq, 1449 for Toshiba).

Since your Toshiba is a floor model I would shy away from that unless the Compaq is more money.

Go to X1000forums to read all the benefits of that notebook or to notebookforums.com to see the Toshiba posts (but not all posts there are for that model).

Toshiba has somewhat better reliability rating according to Consumer reports but I have had no issues with my Compaq that free software updates (bios and drivers) did not solve at the website (and the forum alerts you to these).

If you were going to get the newer model with the Trubrite LCD from Toshiba (very similar to Sony Xbrite) I might push you for Toshiba but not if it is a floor model, similar price, and without the Trubrite.

If you are in the US order custom, if in Canada check out the custom ordering option also but both of these are great notebooks with 3.5 - 4 hours of battery life using wi-fi.

Just for the fact that you want to get a brand new battery alone I would not buy a floor model notebook.
If the battery is not brand new you may not get the battery life you should get.

Also, the Compaq X1000 has a button to turn off the touchpad which is very helpful.

Both have 3 2.0 USB ports and 1 firewire port.....

Collapse -
by broiyan / August 3, 2004 1:20 PM PDT

Yup, these are Canadian models.

Ken San Ramon are you happy with the brightness and clarity of text, spreadsheets, Word, etc. ?

Sony looks brighter but Sony with Centrino is probably more than I want to spend.

Thanks.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 3, 2004 3:03 PM PDT

If you go back to that HP Canada order screen you will see a X1360CA model (Pentium M 1.4 Banias) below your X1460CA model.. that is exactly what I have and I bought that at Circuit City (X1360US) in late May.

The only difference between your model and mine is that yours has a larger hard drive (but still 4200 rpm) and you have the 1.5 Pentium M but it is the 705 Banias 1mb L2 cache not the newer Dothan Pentium M's that are 715 and higher.

I am very happy with the XGA LCD and notebook for Wi-fi use (3.5 to 4 hours) and general use.

I paid $1299 after rebates for the notebook in late May (US).

The keyboard is outstanding, it has the button to turn off the touchpad (most notebooks don't have this and it can cause your cursor to jump when typing), and it will fit in a 15" notebook backpack.

If I was ordering again, I would order custom and get 64mb of video memory and and the 5400 rpm hard drive but for my use it is not necessary just better specifications for future uses for gaming and hard drive speed.

If you cannot order custom you will like either the Toshiba M30 or the Compaq but I really like the Compaq due to the X1000forums.com dedicated to this unit ---- some over and join !!!

As I stated, the new Toshibas have the Xbrite which is very slick but it can cause reflections to bounce off the glass like surface so since neither of these don't have that go for it if you cannot order custom (newer Compaq/HP models don't have HP Briteview screens yet either).

512mb RAM is also ideal for this notebook if you are not doing video editing. Most custom users get 256mb an go out and add 256mb or 512mb themselves for less$ but on a prebuilt 512mb is the preferred total you end up with and that is what mine had also.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 3, 2004 3:11 PM PDT

I went to the Canada site for HPshopping. It does appear you can only order the prebuilt model you want so that is the best you can go for the X1000 series. Also, I see there is a $50 US rebate.

On the US Hpshopping, there is rebate 2/1/04-9/30/04 for a
$100 rebate for all custom order HP or Compaq notebooks -- but you are not ordering custom (can't) and also you are not ordering from a US address (your $50 rebate is in US funds but states it is for orders from Canada).

Make sure you register this online as instructed on the rebate form from website and you will get it back quicker and send in the original UPC code from the side of the box and a copy of the receipt/invoice.

Collapse -
by mrvoice / August 16, 2004 8:00 PM PDT

I personally have the X1000 and it is turely Amazing. Unless the Toshiba is has the glass or hard plastic cover over the monitor, I think the compaq has a nicer picture.

It weighs almost nothing and have a very comfortable design. I have found toshiba's in the past to not be as comfortable over a long period of use (all at once that is)

The Text appearance will probably be very similar based on the interal XP clear text technology which can be activated or deactived.

I love Toshiba as far as being able to service them locally here. But After the way I have been treated at HP/Compaq over a recent Notebook ongoing issue, they are replacing it with a brand new one so support wise it's a plus (as long as they don't transfer your call to india on a tech support call)

The keyboard is strong on the X1000, but in my history, I've found the Toshiba's have a better built one. I do not know if exception is taken due to the compact design of centrino models which squish alost of keys into a small area.

Hope that helps.
My email is mv@usa.com

Take Care

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.