Laptops forum

General discussion

Compaq x1000 add-ons

What add-ons would I deffinatly need? and what is a Advanced port replicator?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq x1000 add-ons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq x1000 add-ons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Compaq x1000 add-ons

In reply to: Compaq x1000 add-ons

1. A backup device.

Many only learn about this after they lose all their files.

2. I needed an USB hub on mine. I can add an USB keyboard and mouse on that if I want. Makes for quick desktop use.

Bob

Collapse -

The port replicator allows you to plug in all your peripherals to one fixed device and then that device plugs into one spot on the notebook.

Thus, for people at work who want to have their external monitor, standard keyboard, printer, mouse, etc hooked up already -- then just plug in the replicator to the notebook -- that is a good solution.

Otherwise, if you are not using it that way a USB hub will take care of most of your needs as Bob said. Your X1000 has 3 USB ports so the hub plugged into one of them allows you to have those devices plugged into the hub and then one plug into the notebook.

Your X1000 has a parallel port for a printer in back also but USB 2.0 is easier and faster if you have a newer printer.

See www.x1000forums.com for more specific information on your X1000 (10,000 + members).

I have had a Compaq X1360US (1.4 Pentium M) since late May 2004 and it is doing a great job for my use and it runs cool (no fan at all in normal internet use).

Collapse -

Note also that the proprietary Compaq port replicator is nearly $200 so that is only beneficial if you are plugging in and out everyday in an office environment.

But you can buy a USB 2.0 hub (usually with at least 4 USB jacks) for under $20. Make sure you get one that is USB 2.0 and not USB 1.1 or you will have much lower transfer speeds for devices that are USB 2.0 compliant. USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1.1. Some devices like mice don't require outside power for the USB hub but I would buy a powered one so you can run a printer, scanner, etc. into the hub which does require the USB hub to be powered (plugged into A/C separately from notebook). But you can use these unplugged if you are just using a mouse, a keyboard light, etc.

The silver on the palm rests of the X1000 can wear off so I recommend using the Targus wristpads or the new laptopgellyfish gelpads (see their website). This also cushions your hands.

I also have a Targus pedastal that goes under the laptop that raises it a bit to allow more cooling and protect your hard surface. Also, spills will go under the laptop and not into it. They have these at Target, Fry's Electronics, CompUSA, etc. The pedastal also allows you to rotate the laptop in any direction easily as a top piece swiwels while the buttom piece remains in place firmly on the hard surface.

If you don't have one I also recommend one of the Targus or similar notebook backpacks for transport (see their website for comparison). A 15.4" widescreen will fit in the 15" Targus backpacks as the notebook drops in sideways (on its end) not like the horizontal saddle bags.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Compaq x1000 add-ons

Where can you get the USB 2.0 for $20? What do they look like? And do you recommend a x1000? How is their service....like if something breaks??

Collapse -

I have a X1000! You must have not read several of my recent posts which indicated that www.x1000forums.com is a source for all knowledge and assistance with either the X1000 series (I have X1360US retail from Circuit City), the ZT3000 series (HP consumer in black), or the HPnx7000 series (they just posted a review for the HPnx7010 on Cnet - 7.8 (Cnet rated X1000 an 8.1 when it first appeared in mid 2003 (see that review under top notebooks link on Cnet).

You can easily find a 4 port USB hub for $20.00 or less at Fry's Electronics if you live in the southwest (their website is www.outpost.com), Compusa, www.newegg.com, etc. There are a flood of aftermarket companies that make USB hubs -- just make sure you buy one that is a USB 2.0 with a power transformer (to power printers and other USB devices requiring power). I bought an AVB on sale at Frys for 14.99 (regular 19.99)and it is small enough to put in a shirtpocket.

My X1360US from Circuitcity (you can see the same $1299 price after rebates I paid in late May 2004 on their website right now -- but it is sold out at this price) has a Pentium M 1.4 and 32mb video ram. This has been fine for my use (has Intel 2200b/g wireless) but you can order at the Compaq website now and get a 1.6 or 1.7 Dothan Pentium M CPU which has double the L2 system cache of the Banius cpu I have (2mb instead of 1mb). This makes a big difference and the cost is not that much different as these new Dothan CPU's are replacing the Banias CPU's on the Pentium M line.

Check out the Toshiba website for the M30 series. They have a 1.7 Pentium M system out now for 1999 (they do not allow you to customize like HP/Compaq site) that is fully loaded and has the new Tru-brite Toshiba screen technology. I saw this at Circuit City and it is very nice (the 15.4" screen) and looks like it has a thin glass layer over it similar to Sony Xbrite technology.

The 15.4 inch widescreen that is on the compaq X1000, HPZT3000 (its twin but in black inside) and Acer is very nice expecially for DVD's.

All of these brands have 1 year warranties now standard. Apple has the best reliability/support but these 3 brands are similar.

It has been extremely helpful for me to have the X1000forums.com (over 10,000 registered members) to assist me in becoming aware of needed bios updates, etc to correct small issues with the laptop (these updates are at Compaq/HP website).

however, they have a similar forum that has Toshiba, Dell and others at www.notebookforums.com

Check them out............

Collapse -

Thank you for your info. This is the first laptop that I'll be purchasing and I just want to make sure I get one that will fit all of my needs.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.