Laptops forum

General discussion

Compaq V2000Z, the good, the bad, and the ugly?

I'm thinking of getting this notebook for college. I wanted a notebook that
A: was small/portable and the 14 inch screen seems to fit the bill.
B: Was cheap.
C: Would last me for four years of college. This means that it will be just as useful to me now as it will the day I get out of college.
D: Had decent battery life (3+ hours).
E: Would be able to run Vista when it comes out.
and F (a plus, but not needed): good for games.

The Compaq V2000Z seemed to fit these dementions. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? Are there any conflicts with what the thing can do and what I wanted it to do? Also, exaclty how great is that card for gaming? It is integrated so I'm not expecting much, but if anyone has actually seen this card play hl2 or something then I would like to hear about it. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq V2000Z, the good, the bad, and the ugly?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq V2000Z, the good, the bad, and the ugly?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have both

In reply to: Compaq V2000Z, the good, the bad, and the ugly?

V2000z and V2000. Although they're cheap, they are actually my favorite notebooks of the few I have.

A. It's portable. Perfect size. IMHO, you don't want any screen size smaller than this since you're gonna use it often.
B. It's very cheap.
C. I had my V2000 since it's first came out. Never had problems whatsoever. My wife use this one and drop it many times. It survives so far.
D. If you get the 12 cell battery, you'll get minimum of 5 hours even without dimming the screen.
E. Well, I don't know about its performance with Window Vista. I'm not a gamer also so not really sure about it.

There are 2 drawbacks of the V2000 (both pentium M and Turion) those I experience :
1. the casing get warm so they're not that comfy to be placed on your lap for a long time.
2. The HD is located right under your left arm rest. The arm rest gets really warm with the original HD. I believe mine came with Seagate HD. I replaced the HD with Hitachi and now it never gets warm. There is nothing wrong with the original HD. I just didn't want to take any risk of it failing because my wife kept dropping it from the bed.

Collapse -
Good laptop

In reply to: I have both

I've had the V2000Z for a couple of months now and although, I think it's a great laptop at that price, I've been having problems with overheating too. Of course, by overheating, I mean that the left arm rest gets a little warm - it causes some discomfort, nothing more. Also, as mentioned, it gets a little too warm to be placed on the laptop.Performance wise, I think it's amazing and it looks good too. The video card is indeed compatible with Vista. You'd probably need to upgrade it to a 2GB RAM (max) to play games etc.

Collapse -
4 years?

Laptops were almost always 3 year devices unless cared for. The really great thing about todays laptops is they are 1/2 the price of just a few years ago and some 4 times the capability and speed.

I know many people with the v2000 series but they are all under 1 year ago so no one can write about aging issues. So far, so good.

I own the r3000 because work provided it. Very nice too.

Bob

Collapse -
Bargain at $579

The V2552US and V2555US are on sale this week at CompUSA and Office Depot, after $130 in rebates. The CompUSA is a better offer, since $100 of it is an instant rebate. I bought the CompUSA model, and am very happy with it.

The widescreen picture is great. It has one "stuck pixel", but I have read that there are ways to fix stuck pixels.

It has a CDRW-DVD combo drive, and the DVD drive reads the new DVD formats (+/- R's and RW's).

Collapse -
correction

In reply to: Bargain at $579

To correct the previous post, the rebate is actually $180, with $150 in instant savings.

Collapse -
Stiff mouse keys are the only drawback

It has a great feature set. For about $900, you get soemthing with ati graphics and a 100 gb hard drive. Not bad at all.

The keypad is easy to use. The only problem is the mouse keys are a bit stiff and something less yeilding.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.