HP forum

General discussion

Compaq sr2264w boot error

by pmoore2578 / May 14, 2010 12:38 PM PDT

I have a 3 year old compaq computer. It originally had vista on it. We moved it back to xp a while back. Well We got a bad virus and put vista back on the computer. since then there has been nothing but issues. After the vista was put back on I have constant Boot manager image errors. I have since put windows 7 on it. It ran great for a few weeks. I came home from town and the computer was froze. when i rebooted the computer it said boot manager image error. If i shut the computer down for about 10 minutes it will boot up and then run fine for about 20 minutes and freeze again. Does anyone have any ideas beside replacing the mother board and rebuilding this computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq sr2264w boot error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq sr2264w boot error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2010 1:46 PM PDT

1. ". I came home from town and the computer was froze. "

Are you telling me that you run this laptop 24x7? Most consumer laptops do not survive long as "servers." It may have fried.

2. At 3 years, you have cleaned it with the usual instructions (link follows) 3 time?

-> Current post 6 and 7 at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19681_102-0.html?threadID=352085&tag=forums06;forum-threads

3. My bet is about maintenance. Your post seems to not mention such.

4. I may have a wrong number but the sr2264w at hp.com com didn't find this model. Link please?
Bob

Collapse -
more info
by pmoore2578 / May 14, 2010 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: A few ideas.

I may have gotten a model number wrong. The computer is a desktop. I dont shut it down every day but every few days. The correct model is a compaq presario sr2264wm. Sorry about that i posted the wrong model. I do remove the case and clean out the computer. I have also run my maleware, antivirus, registery cleaner, and disk defragment trying to resolve this issue and nothing has helped.

Collapse -
Ok. Link to model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2010 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: more info
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&cc=us&product=3377256&dlc=en&

This is your typical Athlon 64 machine. I'd inspect the motherboard for BAD CAPS (see google) as that machine is from that time period. Fix? New board.

The REGISTRY CLEANER is just a bad idea. I will not open another discussion about them but now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't warn folks about them. My buddies get a steady income reloading the OS and recovering lost files.

BUT IN THIS POST IS A CLUE. The machine is running well enough to run these things?

Maybe it is time to pull off the CPU HEAT SINK, wipe off the old COMPOUND, drop some new compound on and button it up? Cost is about ONE DOLLAR and may help.

Being an AMD machine, installing Windows 7 isn't as easy as it should be. Tell me your install plan. Something like Windows 7, then what drivers?
Bob
Collapse -
install
by pmoore2578 / May 15, 2010 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok. Link to model.

I have my windows 7 and i do a total clean install. then i go in my device manager and update the drivers for everything. when i first put win 7 on it, it ran fine for a couple of months. If i do another reformat it will run fine again for a couple of months. I was wondering if it could be some sort of overheating issue because once it is shut down for about 10 to 15 minutes it will boot and run fine for a while. Seems to be a reformat fixes it for a while. we were thinking of replacing the motherboard, using the case and just building a new computer.my husband and his buddy who is currently in itt tech for computers are both totally lost on what it could be.

Collapse -
more info
by pmoore2578 / May 15, 2010 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: install

one other bit of info. it was running bad for a bit. then i got a 2 gig stick of ram. I put the ram in and started having issues. looked inside and noticed the ram was in the wrong slot. I moved it to the correct slot and it ran great. Its been running since february and now all of a sudden it is doing it again

Collapse -
". then i go in my device manager and update the drivers for
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2010 2:53 PM PDT
In reply to: install

". then i go in my device manager and update the drivers for everything."

Now try it the old fashioned way. Get the drivers from the machine maker, and install them. Microsoft does not make PCs and their choice of drivers is not going to be the latest.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.