Desktops forum

General discussion

Compaq Prolinea 575 CMOS/Clock Battery

by dtroisi / July 14, 2005 7:11 AM PDT

I would appreciate some help! I've ordered, and received a Compaq Prolinea 575 CMOS battery. It is a Rayovac 840, 4.5v Alkaline Battery. When I opened my machine, I located a schematic showing the Location of an "internal Clock/CMOS battery" (a coin shaped lithium battery currently in place). The schematic also shows the location for connecting an "external Clock/CMOS battery" connector that would seem to accommodate the battery I received. There are instructions on the schematic for jumper positions for either "internal" or "external" Clock/CMOS battery (currently positioned for the "internal" battery) with instructions for positioning for an "external" battery.
It would seem, by changing the jumper arrangement for an "external" battery and hooking up the 4.5v alkaline battery, I should be in business and the dead lithium battery would be by-passed. Can you confirm this for me?

Thank you,
Dino R. Troisi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq Prolinea 575 CMOS/Clock Battery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq Prolinea 575 CMOS/Clock Battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems like a lot of work to me. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 14, 2005 11:40 PM PDT

Why not just go to a hardware store, grocery store, Radio Shack, etc. and buy a two dollar replacement for the lithium battery? I hate to ask what you paid Compaq.

Lithium batterys typically last 4-5 years.

Back to your question, "Sounds logical to me".

Collapse -
i agree
by AKonny47 / July 15, 2005 1:34 AM PDT

just buy a new replacement. dont stress yourself over things that arent necesary.

Collapse -
Closing the Loop
by dtroisi / July 15, 2005 8:05 AM PDT

For whoever may be interested, I have installed the connected 4.5v Alkaline CMOS/Clock replacement battery and moved the jumper as instructed on diagram. The jumper move by-passes the dead Lithium battery on the board and activates the leads for the Alkaline battery connection. I've done it, and all is well again. All systems are go. There apparently are some older boards that allow you to make the fix this way. I read somewhere some of the older boards have the CMOS/Clock battery hard wired to the board making removal virtually impossible. Anyway I hope this experience is helpful to someone.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?