Laptops forum

Question

Compaq Presario CQ56-219WM vs ??? For Watching Movies Online

My hard drive crashed today, and I had to get something just to get online to shop, read reviews, search forums, etc for another laptop.
I had a 2003 Dell Precision M50 laptop, and it was still running great. It was $3000 in its day, although I bought it in 2005 for $500 used.
I went to Wal-Mart, and they had this Compaq Presario CQ56-219WM on rollback for $278. It seems to be ok speed-wise for general surfing the web, but I watch a lot of movies onine. The movies (all of them) are stopping/buffering more often, are more blotchy to watch, and not as crisp or defined during movie watching especially during fast moving scenes .

I know $300 (tax included) is a low price, but I have 15 days that I can return it. So, I'm hoping to find something that watches movies better (and surfing the web).
Is there a better option for $300 or just a little more????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq Presario CQ56-219WM vs ??? For Watching Movies Online
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq Presario CQ56-219WM vs ??? For Watching Movies Online
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's ok for watching video.

In reply to: Compaq Presario CQ56-219WM vs ??? For Watching Movies Online

BUT you didn't tell what internet connection you have. Some have DSL and write your story.

Look for any DUAL CORE CPU and you'll likely fare a lot better.
Bob

Collapse -
More Info, Hope this Helps

In reply to: It's ok for watching video.

Sorry, I am not a computer expert by any means; so I may not have included the proper info. Please let me know if more is needed.

I have Wireless AT&T DSL Internet.
The movies watched just fine speed-wise and with a much clearer/sharper picture with my old 2003 laptop. I just tried watching "Rango" with my kids on this new laptop, and it continually paused/hesitated and was blotchy looking as well. Surfing the internet seems fine, but we do watch a lot of movies.

Any suggestions (either a specific laptop, link, thread)? Again, I'm trying to stay around $300 if possible with WI-FI and good enough speed to watch movies online, and good enough video for a decent picture.

Here is the 2011 laptop I bought:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/DescribeBundleComponent.do?bundle_id=10966053&component_id=1&item_id=15657958

Here is my 2003 old laptop (except I have 1024 MB memory) which works great for movies:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,5698,00.asp

Collapse -
The Pentium 4m was no slouch.

In reply to: More Info, Hope this Helps

And moving back to Celeron isn't a good idea.

Sorry I found nothing I would buy at 300 bucks. Maybe you should add some ram to the old machine and save the bucks?
Bob

Collapse -
Refurbished?

In reply to: The Pentium 4m was no slouch.

OK, what about refurbished. I would pay a little more if I could get a bigger screen (17.3?). Portability is only slightly important. By portability, I mean we move the laptop from the bedroom where the printer and Wi-fi DSL connection is to the living room where the family watches movies; but we do this almost everyday.

What about something like this for speed and picture for watching movies:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+Factory-Refurbished+Aspire+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Pentium%26%23174%3B+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+-+Black/3011201.p?id=1218370880910&skuId=3011201

Is this a good choice? Better Options?

Collapse -
Read it. IMO? Pass.

In reply to: Refurbished?

I can't find which Pentium. In fact the exact model was not easy to find (didn't find it) so I can't check to see if the CPU had at least HT.

As we get to 399 we have better choices. Even a new Dell.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-iN5030-1584OBK/16560727

And since you noted Walmart before, there are more at the price point of 399 and less that have dual core and more.
Bob

Collapse -
Best $400 Laptop with 17.3"???

In reply to: Read it. IMO? Pass.

I looked at the Dell you posted, but it has the 15.6" screen. I am willing to pay $399 if I can get a larger screen than 15.6 which it looks like is 17.3 from everything I'm seeing online.

Also, I am willing to purchase anywhere reputable - online or B&M. I just got the Compaq at Wal-mart, because it was close to home and I needed something immediately due to the M50 Precision hard drive crashing. I would replace the hardrive in the Precision as I found them on ebay for less than $50, but I do not have any discs or knowledge to reboot/reformat a hard drive.

So, with $400 and a 17.3 screen - what would you buy? I am open to refubished if it's worth it or possibly even used as I bought my M50 Precision used.

Collapse -
Did you check out Walmart.

In reply to: Best $400 Laptop with 17.3"???

Sorry but this is a member to member forum. You can check this out pretty fast.

Collapse -
???

In reply to: Did you check out Walmart.

Sorry, should be posting in another area? I'm not quite sure what you are taking about.

Collapse -
Sometimes folk misunderstand the CNET forums.

In reply to: ???

No one is paid here so it's all volunteer.

This is where you get to do a little work. Head to walmart.com and use their laptop picker to see if you can find a dual core machine with the LCD you want and then offer a link to that for comment.

Again, some members forget this is all volunteer or member to member and want a shopping service or folk to scour the world for this or that at the "best price."

Hope that helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Back to Walmart and a refurb.

Collapse -
I did some hunting as you suggested

In reply to: Back to Walmart and a refurb.

* Walmart HP Laptop
$398 HP / Pentium P6100 / 4GB / 320GB / 17.3" - Factory Refurbished

I did some looking as you suggested. How do these compare to the Wal-Mart HP:

Circuit City
1) $369 - Acer Aspire / Pentium P6200 / 4GB / 320GB / 17.3" - Factory Refurbished
http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=708826&CatId=4965

Best Buy
2) $399 - Gateway / Athlon 2 / 4GB / 640GB / 17.3" - Factory Refurbished
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Factory-Refurbished+Laptop+/+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Silk+Silver/2816034.p?id=1218353392824&skuId=2816034

Best Buy
3) $450 - HP Pavilion / Phenom 2 / 4GB / 500GB / 17.3" - New
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+/+AMD+Phenom%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Pewter/2881467.p?id=1218359112138&skuId=2881467

*I AM LOOKING AT RETAIL/B&M STORES, AND I KNOW OFTEN YOU CAN GET BETTER PRICES AT ONLINE OUTLETS.
ARE THERE SOME BETTER-PRICED, RELIABLE ONLINE OPTIONS YOU WOULD SUGGEST CHECKING OUT?

Here is something I found on Nextag:
$344 - Gateway NV7317U / Athlon 2 / 3GB / 320GB / 17.3" - Factory Refurbished
http://www.cheetahdeals.com/Gateway-NV7317U-Factory-Refurbished-Laptop-p/l-lx.wge02.017.htm?utm_medium=CPC&utm_source=Nextag

Collapse -
They all compare well.

In reply to: I did some hunting as you suggested

While I won't take the AMD units that's because I write apps and have my reasons. If this was the budget I'd pick the lowest cost dual core pentium then go look at it and make my decision.

No, I never buy a laptop on spec alone.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I just bought this laptop as well

I found this laptop at Pawn America for $160.00, and it was pretty much brand new. You can cheaply and in my opinion easily upgrade the CPU. I bought a new 2.3Ghz T4500 Dual Core processor off Ebay for $17 shipped and installed it in about an hour! This laptop is very easily taken apart and pretty simple to work with. You can even download a manual that guides you step by step in replacing parts. Bravo to HP for doing this. It runs WAY smoother and faster than the crappy Celeron. I don't see the point in making Celerons anymore.
If you don't feel comfortable with the cheap upgrade, I'd suggest a pawn shop hunt for a cheap notebook. I found my father a two year old Dual Core Presario for $99.00 at a pawn shop... all it needed was a charger.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.