Computer Help forum

General discussion

Compaq Presario 700 w/ XP Crash

Need advice, please. My Compaq Presario 700 with XP crashed yesterday. I have Roxio GoBack 3, but it fails to recover---just sits there and runs for hours and hours. I have now disabled GoBack 3 and inserted Norton Systemworks CD (which says it can be used as a recovery CD)--it gave me a WinXP screen at first (with no other words or symbols on the monitor) but now has nothing but a blank blue monitor.
(I'm using another computer in the same household to do this message). Any advice would be appreciated.
(p.s. I have 3 CDs for Compaq QuickRestore, but I a note that comes with those CDs says they will erase all data on my hard drive.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq Presario 700 w/ XP Crash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq Presario 700 w/ XP Crash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Compaq Presario 700 w/ XP Crash

In reply to: Compaq Presario 700 w/ XP Crash

Charles,

Boot from the Windows XP CD-ROM into the Recovery Console to do the diagnostics and (possibly) repairs. You'll find some info with http://www.google.com/search?&q=Xp%20%22recovery%20console%22
It might well be, however, that Compaq didn't supply the XP CD-ROM, only the recovery CD. That's cheaper for them (and for you), until things go wrong like this. Then I would advise to call Compaq tech support or go back to where you bought the machine. The causes for your problem can be many, but some hardware failure is likely.

If the Recovery CD says it will wipe all your data, it will surely do so. But, depending on the problem, it might have a data saving mode of operation, so to say. Your manual, or Compaq tech support, will be able to tell you so.

The hard disk being only temporary storage (might be for a month, might be for 10 years) it's good practice to make 'backups' of what you don't want to lose. Not doing so saves time but is risky. The choice is totally up to you.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Data Recovery

In reply to: Compaq Presario 700 w/ XP Crash

Charles,

Kee's is on track about recovery of O/S. For your data, slave the drive that will not boot to another system and pull your data off. Provided that the H/D will spin and read.

Others will add to the data recovery issue with other proceedures.

Luck
Bill

Collapse -
Re: Data Recovery

In reply to: Data Recovery

Thanks Kees and Bill. My crashed laptop is not on a LAN. It is on a wireless router, and I am using my wife's desktop on the same ISP though a cable service. I guess there's no way to slave my Laptop to her desktop, is there?

Maybe I should take my laptop to a technical service person to get the hard-drive data downloaded to CDs?

Collapse -
Re: Data Recovery

In reply to: Re: Data Recovery

Charles,

Their is a Linix O/S that will run off a CD for file recovery. I do not have the link for it but I am sure someone will provide it.

Bill

Collapse -
Re: Data Recovery under 10 dollars.

In reply to: Re: Data Recovery

I just cloned my laptop hard disk with this $3.65 device (shipping brings it near ten dollars) at http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

One can use that device to place said laptop hard disk into a desktop on the second IDE channel by itself and most Windows machines will like it and you can retrieve your stuff with ease.

-> Knoppix.

While great strides have happened with Knoppix and Wifi, I can't write it works for everyone. The wired connection does work most of the time as you can read at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

Not only were they able to copy files out of the machine to the LAN but also to CDRW with K3b. This is one CD you need in your toolkit.

Again, if you can't download and make your own CD, it's often available for order around 10 bucks.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.