HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Compaq Presario 5340 won't start the first time?

by Scifiman / October 29, 2004 1:32 PM PDT

I've had the problem for over a year or more. I turn on the monitor first(it works fine) then I turn on the computer and I can see the hard drive lights working but nothing appears on the screen except a message that says "This monitor is Working". So I hold in the computer power button for 6 seconds and the computer cuts off. Then I quickly restart the computer and it works the second time. The computer works fine after I start it the second time. What could be causing this? I'm not going to take it to a repair shop and pay $95.00 an hour to figure out what's wrong. This is an older computer but it works fine. I've upgraded the memory to 316 mb, the hard drive to 30 GB (Maxtor), the video card and the OS to Windows XP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq Presario 5340 won't start the first time?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq Presario 5340 won't start the first time?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried the obvious?
by Ray Harinec / October 29, 2004 11:17 PM PDT

Turn the computer on first a moment or so before the monitor. At one time the system sent a momentary signal at boot to the monitor and if the monitor came on first it could miss the signal. That was quite a long time ago, but worth a try.

Collapse -
Re: Have you tried the obvious?
by Scifiman / October 30, 2004 10:12 AM PDT

Every since I started using a modern computer (1997) I have always turned the monitor on first because I thought that was the correct way to do it. I think I've already tried turning the computer on first but I'll give it a try again.

Collapse -
did it happen after ram upgrade?
by reefurbb / October 31, 2004 10:39 PM PST

maybe incompatible ram. sounds like a hardware issue that is stopping video card or mobo from initiating.

Collapse -
Re: did it happen after ram upgrade?
by Scifiman / November 3, 2004 11:47 AM PST

I'm not quite sure when the problem started. I have upgraded the ram twice (two 128 MB cards) but the memory seems to be working alright. Could it be I need a new power switch?

Collapse -
256mb vs 316 mb?
by reefurbb / November 3, 2004 8:17 PM PST

where does the other 60mb come from? The point being to try 1 stick of ram at a time to see if the problem is the same. I also turn my monitor on first but I have old ones, even the 17".
NO, you probably don't need a new power switch, it only does momentary contact (ATX) and it does work the 2nd time. Or is it an AT type that pushes in and holds?

Collapse -
Re: 256mb vs 316 mb?
by Scifiman / November 3, 2004 9:29 PM PST
In reply to: 256mb vs 316 mb?

My computer has three slots for memory and originally came with 96 MB. Presently I have two 128 MB sticks installed and one 64MB stick installed. I realize this doesn't add up. I think 4 MB is being using by the video card that came with the computer. Since I have installed a new video card I guess I should go to bios setup and release this 4 MB(If that's possible?). My power switch pops back out after I push it in. I tried turning my computer on first and then the monitor as was suggested in a previous post. Funny thing is that it seemed to work for a few times and the computer would start the first time. Now it isn't working. I have two hard drives in my computer. After the new hard drive was installed I transferred any information I wanted to keep onto my new hard drive and then I reformatted my old hard drive to erase everthing. Could I have erased some vital info?

Collapse -
Re: Compaq Presario 5340 won't start the first time?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2004 10:03 PM PST

Since this is a K6-2 CPU, let me share that a few of those machines didn't behave well with over 256M of RAM. Try this test. Add as much memory as you can, but don't go over 256 MB.

And to answer a question in advance, I do not know of a cure for this issue when I find it. It seemed to be a design bug.

Bob

Collapse -
by Scifiman / November 4, 2004 6:01 AM PST

Bob I don't think it is the memory because I had this problem before when I only had 224 MB of memory. I keep thinking that when I first turn the computer on it heats up and a poor connection gets better because it expands.

Collapse -
Presently I have two 128 MB sticks installed and one 64MB s
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2004 9:43 AM PST

From your last post on this, you have more than 256 MB of RAM installed.

Again its an issue I've run into and all I can do is share my workarounds...

Bob

Collapse -
by Stan Chambers / November 4, 2004 5:19 AM PST

Scifiman: I have three computer, all have different hardware. One Dell, two home built. They all have this problem periodically. I find that simply hitting the reset buttom will overcome the problem.
As Bob implied in his post, there doesn't seem to be a generic answer for this. I have given up looking.

Collapse -
ATX and ram
by reefurbb / November 4, 2004 9:23 PM PST

button comes back out=momentary contact=ATX supply=no new switch needed.
It was already suggested that you fire up with 1 stick of ram for awhile. Problem goes away? Try another stick by itself. Still no recorrence? Lastly do the 64mb. I suspect the 64mb doesn't play well with the 2x128mb. Do the 2x128mb as Proffitt suggested.
As mentioned, could still be a BIOS setup issue, although Compaq gives few options. I've forgotten if you have a "bios default" option vs. the "setup default" which turns on some enhancements.

Collapse -
Re: ATX and ram - not starting first time?
by surgeon / December 9, 2004 8:02 PM PST
In reply to: ATX and ram

did you give up trying to find a solution (as ernie suggested), or did you get it sorted?

i have had a similar problem, but after having: changed gfx card, installed new hdd, and removed a stick of RAM. i know, i know, just one thing at a time in future!

Collapse -
by seiken / December 9, 2004 10:01 PM PST

The older Compaqs have a save to disk feature. I think this is all saved in the bios. Make sure it has shut down correctly and if it does this after turning off all the hibernate and save to disk options in the bios just try cntrl-alt-delete if it starts up that way. If you really want to fix it you might have to change the motherboard. It really isnt that hard or expensive. You can do it for under $40.

Collapse -
Re: mobo change
by reefurbb / December 11, 2004 7:48 PM PST

many Compaqs and others have proprietary mobos, Compaq with a riser card for pci and isa slots, some others with rear outputs on the right instead of left. Another problem can be the lead(s) from the front panel, Dell uses a plug that can't be easily split to the inline connectors, others use a dual in-line 14 pin plug.
SO, it isn't usually easy for $40...FYI

Collapse -
Compaq Presario 5340 won't start the first time?
by Scifiman / December 15, 2004 10:47 AM PST

I thought I would repeat my original post below before telling you what I have tried in order to fix my computer.

I've had the problem for over a year or more. I turn on the monitor first(it works fine) then I turn on the computer and I can see the hard drive lights working but nothing appears on the screen except a message that says "This monitor is Working". So I hold in the computer power button for 6 seconds and the computer cuts off. Then I quickly restart the computer and it works the second time. The computer works fine after I start it the second time. What could be causing this? I'm not going to take it to a repair shop and pay $95.00 an hour to figure out what's wrong. This is an older computer but it works fine. I've upgraded the memory to 316 mb, the hard drive to 30 GB (Maxtor), the video card and the OS to Windows XP.

Below is listed some of the things I tried that different people suggested.

1.Turn the computer on a moment before the monitor. I did this and it did not help.

2.I'm not sure what type of power switch is on my computer. ATX or AT. It does pop back out when I push it in. I have noticed something curious. When I disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer and then push the power button in, the computer comes on when I plug the power cord back in the computer.

3.I removed memory cards as suggested to see if this would help but it didn't. First I tried 256 MB or ram, then 128 MB but my computer still wouldn't start the first time. So I put the memory cards back in and presently have 316 MB or ram.

4. Ernie, I don't think you have the exact same problem I have. 99.9 percent of the time my computer will only start the second time I turn it on. Rarely, very rarely it will start the first time. And also I have to turn my computer on the second time a certain way before it will start the second time. I turn it on the first time, nothing appears on the monitor, I hold the power button in until the computer cuts off, then I quickly turn the computer on a second time and it starts. If I wait even 5 or 10 seconds before turning it on the second time it may not start.

5.I have got the latest bios update from Compaqs web site. It is 1999.

6.I have tried clearing the Cmos(compaq support suggested this) and I have also taken the small battery out of the computer. It didn't do any harm but I had to reset my clock.

7.I did have two hard drives connected to my computer but decided to unhook the old hard drive(power and data cable) and now am only using my newer Maxtor (30 GB) drive.

8. Surgeon,Seiken, I haven't gave up on trying to fix the problem. I won't buy anymore computer components until I'm sure what the problem is. Like I said the computer works great after I get it started but it bothers me a little having to start it twice.

If anybody knows anything else to try let me know. Thanks.

Collapse -
RE: stuff tried..
by reefurbb / December 15, 2004 8:37 PM PST

This can be exasperating...I know.
1. AT or ATX doesn't matter as much as whether your power supply (fan) keeps running on 1st attempt. If it spins up briefly and shuts off, that's the problem but not the fix.
If it stays running and the Hdd light keeps working, it may be a video initialization problem. If the Hdd light stays solid for 2 minutes (after windows finishes booting, which you can't see), your BIOS is stuck trying to initialize something, including video.
Too bad you can't turn off the CPQ logo screen and watch BIOS take inventory and report devices detected.
2. you didn't say that video, after 2nd boot, is okay, more than standard VGA of 16 color and 480x640 pixel.
I assume it is okay, thus you have the right drivers.
As previously said, a cheap ($5.00) 1mb or 2mb used video card might give a clue as W98 will likely find the drivers. But the important thing is whether the PC will fire on 1st attempt with this card.
Also, unplug the Hdd, CDrom, not floppy, and pull extra cards, except video (onborad, right?)and try a boot floppy. See if you get video and boot floppy works.
3. Sound, even onboard, has been known to cause boot problems, as well as modem. I think your CPQ "setup" F10, allows disabling of onboard sound. If you then fire on 1st attempt, you'll have no sound but will narrow down the problem.
I freshened one old CPQ that had to be hit twice (reset) because it wouldn't automatically recog the HDD and list it at boot.
4. I know this bugs you as it may be an indicator of other unknown problems (hardware).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.