Laptops forum

General discussion

compaq notebook keyboard & touchpad unresponsive

by greensouthern / January 14, 2009 12:05 AM PST

i've been using an external (logitech) keyboard & mouse for 2 years with my compaq v6000. NO PROBLEMS until yesterday. the keys on my laptop don't do anything. the touchpad light is ON & the cursor moves until i touch a key, then nothing!

i've tried trouble shooting, but everything is "fine".

just before this, (hours) i was unable to shut down the computer properly, then it didn't want to start. i told it to use the last good config. same problem a little later & i started it in safe mode. it is still taking a LONG time to start up & the keys & mouse don't work. i've done several scans (kaspersky & webroot), defragged, disk cleaned, you name it.

i don't know if the two things are related. any ideas would be helpful. i DO move my laptop, but CAREFULLY - i have a hardside case,etc & have not spilled anything, etc.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: compaq notebook keyboard & touchpad unresponsive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: compaq notebook keyboard & touchpad unresponsive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's try a test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 12:08 AM PST

Shut down, remove the AC power, then remove the battery unit. Put it back on AC power, boot and what happens?

Collapse -
laptop keys unresponsive test
by greensouthern / January 14, 2009 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Let's try a test.

okay - i did what the doctor ordered & almost nothing has changed.

1) it was still slow to start

2) the touchpad worked on startup. i opened a blank document & tried to type - nothing. and after i touched the first key, the cursor wouldn't move - the touchpad had stopped, too. (same as before)

*** one thing changed - the light over the scroll/ num lock key went out. (couldn't turn it off before i shut down & rebooted without the battery)

i am still open for suggestions!

Collapse -
That was to rule out a new issue I'm encountering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 1:00 AM PST

End of that line of thought.

Collapse -
logitech driver issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 1:12 AM PST

Due to an issue with Logitech's software I never install their drivers. I don't have your exact model number to work with so I can't tell if there are others with your issue. So moving on.

Here's an issue with Logitech and dead keyboard and mouse issues. REMEMBER THAT MICROSOFT DOES NOT DOCUMENT ALL THE FAILURES I'VE FOUND WITH THIS! I use this document because it details what I do to deal with Logitech's driver and removing it. Somewhere Microsoft has a XP version of this article but it's been elusive. If you must have the XP version, call Microsoft for it's location.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256233

Collapse -
unresponsive keyboard
by greensouthern / January 14, 2009 2:00 AM PST

i have used the mouse & keyboard combo (s510) since i bought them (at the same time) in 2006 without incident. i don't remember downloading anything from logitech, but i did find a logitech program that i had put on when i got it, so probably from a cd.

i considered removing it to see what happens, but i really don't think it's a conflict with the logitech equipment after all this time. seems like something in the notebook itself.

Collapse -
Let me be very clear about this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: unresponsive keyboard

The drivers are known to work and spontaneously fail. I can see where this would lead to confusion and people writing "It worked for years."

I can only share what I've run into. Your choice to try it.

"i really don't think it's a conflict with the logitech equipment after all this time. seems like something in the notebook itself."

That's fine but notebooks are notoriously expensive to repair. You know they'll want to replace the motherboard. My ideas are to avoid that and reach for anything else.
Bob

Collapse -
laptop keys dead
by greensouthern / January 14, 2009 9:55 AM PST

okay - so next thing is to uninstall the logitech program & disconnect the externals & see if it flies.

if not, i can only use my touch pad which rules out logging onto or entering anything until i hook something back up!

such fun. do you have any recommendations for externals without a conflict?
thanks.

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: laptop keys dead

My logitech keyboards and mice work fine on Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7 without me suppiying Logitech's driver CD.

Yes, you don't get the fancy triple lindy click with the smooth popping slide wav file but then again I never got to play with the filters on my own machines. I get that practice on other machines.
Bob

PS. All written with a smile.

Collapse -
smile accepted
by greensouthern / January 14, 2009 10:26 AM PST
In reply to: Just so you know.

worth trying - thanks for your patience!

Collapse -
Good night, good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 11:21 AM PST
In reply to: smile accepted

I'll be back tomorrow and hope for the best.

Collapse -
Yeehaw - good riddance to my logitech driver
by greensouthern / January 15, 2009 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: Good night, good luck.

Well whaddya know? I am typing this on my laptop keyboard.
Sometimes you computer fellas know what you?re talking about!

I took off that nasty Logitech driver and ?shazam?. it even restarted like lighting - i don't know when it has run so fast.

A million thanks.

(and yes, the keyboard & mouse still work just fine) ;-)))

Collapse -
That's great news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 5:21 AM PST

Remember that only sometimes we know. This means you can discount the next 4 answers.

Cheers,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.