Laptops forum

General discussion

Compaq F572US Not booting.

by strongwinds / November 2, 2009 2:13 AM PST

I have a compaq F572US and every time I turn it on, the system hangs at the boot screen, (compaq Logo, and option to go into BIOS) then if just restarts. I've went into the BIOS its not picking up the Hard Drive (on the self diagnostic test, says no IDE device, which is true, the drive is SATA, so...) it woln't even boot from the CD. I can get into the BIOS, I've reset the CMOS several times,still woln't boot. Any help is much apericated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq F572US Not booting.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq F572US Not booting.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go shopping.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 2:42 AM PST

This laptop was first offered in 2004. It's time has come and repair costs will outstrip its replacement.

Collapse -
agreed... but
by strongwinds / November 2, 2009 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: Go shopping.

I know, I was just wondering if there is any fix.

Collapse -
Given this machine's history, age.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: agreed... but

You can try the reset noted in this forum's top post (called a sticky) then a new CMOS battery but having seen these and the cost of the new motherboard it is cheaper to get another laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
motherboard
by strongwinds / November 2, 2009 4:46 AM PST

so it seems that the motherboard is bad?

Collapse -
Or the cmos battery has expired.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: motherboard

Did you try the reset from the forum sticky?

Collapse -
Yes
by strongwinds / November 2, 2009 5:56 AM PST

I have already tired reseting the CMOS, I have not tried buying a new one yet.

Collapse -
Try again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

This forum's top post called the sticky post has a reset you should try.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!