General discussion

Compaq F-700 Power cycles constantly will not stay on

I have a compaq F-700 that im trying to fix for a friend. At first i assumed it was motherboard till i began researching and found this forum. I have tried everything i have seen listed on here. I have taken the motherboard out & heated/reseated the Graphics controller. Same thing the power cycles will not boot up nor will it stay on. The esc key trick will not force it to stay on. The trick with the dvd drive will not keep it on. The power jack is fine and it does this rather plugged in or not battery in or out either way does same thing. When i pulled apart, it seemed to be free of clogs from dirt or dust. I also inspected motherboard for cracks with a magnifying glass. No luck finding one either. Im sure there is an easy explanation for this somewhere. It is running Vista..Model Compaq F-700 (laptop).Can someone please help me with this..Willing to try anything..Thank You In Advance

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Compaq F-700 Power cycles constantly will not stay on
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Compaq F-700 Power cycles constantly will not stay on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have you tried a different power supply?

Have you checked the heatsink on the CPU and used fresh thermal transfer grease - overheating might be the cause.

- Collapse -
Sounds like a bad motherboard.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295900.pdf confirms it's another one of those classic systems that is seeing a few year lifespan. What I'm seeing is this model (and the dv6000/dv9000 line) hitting the shop counters by the hundreds. Since replacing the motherboard only starts the clock ticking again my advice is to replace the laptop.
Bob
- Collapse -
LOL

i was afraid myself that the motherboard or the processor is bad..The heat sink is good, and overheating i believed to be the issue as well which is why i reheated and reset the the video controller...If you can think of anymore ideas or come across anything id greatly appreciate as i appreciate the input thus far...Jason

- Collapse -
I can only guess

That you want to repair the motherboard. The issue is well known and since motherboard repair is not done for simple reasons and we know that the board will just reset the clock till the next time all that I can offer is that the machine, even dead can fetch a few bucks on ebay.
Bob

- Collapse -
reheated

just curious, you said you reheated the video controller. I was wondering how you did this. I have done this in a -nothing to lose scenario- but if not done right, it doesn't work.

- Collapse -
Nothing to lose

If you find you have nothing to lose with this board, this is something I've done for some time. Few years back, a friend of mine took his laptop to a repair shop, after a bad MB replacement bought from Ebay and $220 later, he had nothing, same issue as you are experiencing. So this is how I reseated the chip as some laptops are known for the graphics chips coming loose.

Let me note: Only do this if you feel comfortable with it and ABSOLUTELY sure the mb is not going to be recoverable.

1. Find an oven.
2. Preheat the oven to 385 degrees f.
3. Set the mb on a baking sheet. NOTE: Make sure you take anything off that may melt, like the MB speaker or attached rubber pieces, etc...
4. Bake for exactly 8 min, no longer.

Now, It's going to be HOT obviously so use mitts. Try to take the MB off the pan onto a surface that will not burn in order to cool.

I've done this 4 or 5 times and successfully, two of the laptops are going on 2 years and still running, the others, not sure.

My wife hates the smell and the fact I am using her oven to bake a MB so I usually get the "glare".

Even with this, I completely agree with Bob and even if you get it working, tell your friend to start shopping around, it likely won't be long until they need one.

CNET Forums

Forum Info