Laptops forum

General discussion

Compaq equivalent of HP ZT3380US

Hi all,

I really like the HP ZT3380US model laptop. It has everything that I decided is important to me in a notebook computer. However, I'm from Canada, and as you all know, finding notebooks here is pretty ridiculous compared to south of the border. In fact, the only place that sells the HP model is Future Shop's website (of course, its currently on sale and they're sold out). Since the HP ZT3000 and Compaq X1000 systems are the same, I thought I might try to find the Compaq equivalent of that model. Anyone know what it is??

Thanks for your input,

Matt

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq equivalent of HP ZT3380US
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq equivalent of HP ZT3380US
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Compaq equivalent of HP ZT3380US

In reply to: Compaq equivalent of HP ZT3380US

Yes, if you go to www.Circuitcity.com (US site) and put in the Pentium M Cpu (Centrino) as a filter you will see they sell the HPZT3380 you specified and they sell the Compaq X1480US which is identical except for the case design and a few minor features (HP uses Harmon kardon speakers, Compaq uses JBL -- Compaq has a ridge between the scroll and mouse functions on the touchpad, HP does not).

Note also the Toshiba M35S456 with Trubrite which is very similar to the HP/Compaq as well.

See X1000forums.com for some Canadian posters as well as the best custom order specifications and pricing if you can get it shipped from the US somehow ( to a US address for HP/compaq custom ordering.

Also, note that there is a $100 custom order rebate through 9/1/04 (US dollars) but again that is only for shipments to US addresses (Canadian HP/Compaq does not even let you order custom at all).

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Compaq equivalent of HP ZT3380US

Thanks Ken.

Are all these models relatively new? The Canadian HP/Compaq site lists the HP model, but only has the Compaq X1460US, no X1480. The Toshiba Canada site doesn't list the model you referred to.

Buying a notebook in Canada is driving me up the damn wall - our selection is pathetic, and there is absolutely no room for customization outside of Dell.ca (which I find to be really overpriced). Ugh, I might eventually breakdown and drive over the border, since I live in Windsor (right across from Detroit), but issues with warranty/service are holding me back right now.

Matt

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Compaq equivalent of HP ZT3380US

Matt:

Now that you have revealed that you are close to the border (near Detroit) you have some options.

HP has a 1 year international warranty on its business line (go through HP.com and select business notebooks) while its consumer lines (HP and Compaq) are a US warranty only (or in your case Canada). Note, HPshopping is the website for the US consumer line but you have to go to hp.com to access the business line.
The warranty service is also supposed to be somewhat better on the business side versus the consumer side.

The HPnc7000 is identical to the HPZT3000 series. It can not be customized as much but it does have some options. The Compaq X1000 is the same also but it has different external case colors (on keyboard deck).

If you buy this model, even if you have to somehow have it shipped to a US address, it does have an international warranty so that takes care of your problems with that issue.

If you go to www.X1000forums.com you will see that many people outside the United States have this model (some in South Africa, some in England, etc).

Note: The X1460US model is an update on my X1360US (they also had X1360CA) -- it has the 705 Banias 1.5 processor (note the newer Dothan CPU) and it has a CD-RW/DVD ROM.

The X1480US and the HP3380US both have the HP DVD burner in them which drives up the price $200 US over the CD-RW/DVD ROM most people get.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.