Computer Help forum

General discussion

Compaq desktop, no start-up

Hey everyone...

My current frustration is my Compaq (6430nx). Specs are as follows...

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2133 MHz (16 x 133) 2600+
Motherboard Name FIC AM35 (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
System Memory 2GB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (11/28/02)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter GeForce 6200 (256 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6200 AGP
Monitor Compaq 7500 [17" CRT] (12491537969260)

I haven't had this machine long, and have been working on upgrading it a bit. Topped off the RAM last week, and ordered a new sound card which arrived yesterday. After installing the new card, however, the machine will not boot up. The fans and lights all seem to work inside and at the back, the router registers signal, but the front light remains yellow and monitors both remain without signal. Also while I can hear the hard disk power up and spin, I do not hear the typical "grind" of info being read/sent. No beeps. No visible error messages as the monitors are not getting signal. I have of course removed the new sound card and returned all to it's previous state. On a whim I even dropped a different hard disk in. Unfortunately the results were the same.

Could this be a mobo issue? PSU? Any educated guesses would be appreciated. Thanks a million...

~J

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq desktop, no start-up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq desktop, no start-up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One detail missing.

In reply to: Compaq desktop, no start-up

What sound card you installed.

Maybe you need to disable the internal sound (the sound on the mobo) when you use an separate sound card. If the monitor doesn't even show the BIOS you won't be able to get into the BIOS with the card in, but you could try to disable it in with the new card out.

And, if possible, try the card in another PC. No need to install drivers, of course, just put in and see if it will boot.

I'm sure better help will come.

Kees

Collapse -
Right... Sorry

In reply to: One detail missing.

The card I was installing was an Emu 1212m (http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMU1212M). I have since removed the card and still have the same results. Have not tried card in a second PC, but didn't really think that it was the problem. Unless the card is damaging my system, in which case I'd rather not put it in and have it corrupt my other machine.

Thanks for the quick reply Kees!

Collapse -
What do you mean with ...

In reply to: Right... Sorry

"I have since removed the card and still have the same results."

I assumed the machine boots without the card, and doesn't boot with the card. And that that is reproducible by putting it in and removing it again.

If you did put in the card, and the machine doesn't boot anymore even after you removed it, the most likely cause seems to me that you damaged something while doing it. Could be something easy, like a loose contact, or something fatal, like static on the motherboard. Just putting in the card and booting shouldn't damage the machine.

Did you already try disabling of the onboard sound?

Kees

Collapse -
Hmm...

In reply to: What do you mean with ...

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean by this. I can't truly disable anything as the PC doesn't turn on (at least not completely).

Collapse -
Did you inspect for BAD CAPS?

In reply to: Compaq desktop, no start-up

Collapse -
Hey Bob...

In reply to: Did you inspect for BAD CAPS?

You're always helping me sort things out it seems. Thank you...

I had not heard of this before. i did not do this check, although it seems that I have the same issues. Unfortunately my wife has taken the machine in to a local repair shop. She doesn't want to be stuck using our other desktop while waiting for me to figure out what's wrong. Oh well... I'll see what they say about it, and run it by you folks before she rushes out and pays them to do the work.

Thanks so much!

~J

Collapse -
Okay...

In reply to: Hey Bob...

The verdict is - Dead mobo. Go figure. Based on the reading I've done I'm inclined to trust my repair shops diagnosis. The gentleman seems an honest chap, and has even given me the opportunity to find my own part and bring it in for him to install. Off the top of his head he guessed around $100 for the part if I were to buy it through him. So I looked around and found the following Ebay auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/FIC-AM35-HP-COMPAQ-MOTHERBOARD-AMD-462-EMACHINES-ATHLON_W0QQitemZ300245272918QQihZ020QQcategoryZ31496QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not an Ebayer at all. Used it once about 6 years ago for a hard drive, but have no experience other than that. The item summary states "...brand new. Still sealed in static bag." But at a starting bid of $6.50 it seems too good to be true. Other boards I came across were in the $90 range.

Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch!

~J

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.