General discussion

Compaq computer on downward spiral

My parents have a Compaq (I think it's a Presario) that is about 4, almost 5 years old. It has Vista, and it's been working fine up until 6-9 months ago.

Slowly settings have been changing on their own- the widows sidebar stopped working (although the file for it is still on the computer- it will not run). Right clicking does not allow you to open images, save pictures, or change certain setting on the computer. Recently, my dad has been receiving emails from my mother's email account- that she hasn't been sending- as well. Some of them are titled, and some have no title- but AVG anti-virus won't allow him to open the emails from her.

The internet is very choppy on that computer- when I use the wireless at their house my computer works fine most of the time, but theirs will disconnect from the internet at random times. I thought for awhile that part of the problem was their battery which has a burnt out cell. The computer works as long as it is plugged in, but as soon as it is unplugged it shuts off. However- with the recent email problem, I'm thinking it must be a virus of some kind.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Compaq computer on downward spiral
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Compaq computer on downward spiral
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's normal.

The constant barrage of malware, age and such does such things. And keeping a battery with a burnt out cell can damage the motherboard but the makers don't document that for us.

Your choice as to the hardware issues but you could correct a lot of the issues with a fresh install or by using the restore media. For many this is an exercise about how well they prepared for this day.

BEWARE that some models like the dv6000/9000 and many models that used that design are troublesome. You omitted the model number.
Bob

- Collapse -
Sorry

I couldn't find the model number, but I see it clear as day now that I'm not looking for it- it's a Presario F700.

I don't know how well they prepared for this, but my mother wants to get a thumbdrive for all her photos before we try a restore. Thanks for the advice.

- Collapse -
Closer.

CNET Forums

Forum Info