PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Compaq 12XL400 Laptop Sound Issue - Any Ideas ????

Decided to upgrade from Millenium to XP - Installed Norton Anti 2005 at some point - uninstalled XP because of issues - Somehow I was unable to uninstall Antivirus - tried to do it manually using instructions to edit registry & deleting files as per Symantic instructions - Reinstalled XP - Reinstalled Norton - still had issues - decided to start from scratch - used Compaq Recovery CD and restored Laptop back to Factory set up as it came out of box -

After recovery
Speakers no longer work - No sound - Tried recovery again - as it came out of box - NG

I guess my 1st question is when I edited the registry before recovery would that have carried over after recovery & caused a problem -

I can't figure out why if doing a full recovery to factory how I would lose my sound - headphones don't work either - I've tried removing driver, reintstalling driver, updating driver - this laptop has the VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM) I've tries this all in Millenium - And yes I have made countless attempts playing with speaker settings - volume etc At wit's end - Any ideas ????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq 12XL400 Laptop Sound Issue - Any Ideas ????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq 12XL400 Laptop Sound Issue - Any Ideas ????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It once happened to me

In reply to: Compaq 12XL400 Laptop Sound Issue - Any Ideas ????

I had to go to device manager and click on modems/properties and make sure the speaker volume was on. Why that would affect speaker volume other than for the modem I don't know, but it worked for me.

Collapse -
Tried it just now - Volume was Up on modem

In reply to: It once happened to me

Good try - I checked modem volume was all the way up - this laptop has 2 built in speakers - JBL Pro - I would assume are considered Laptop Stereo Speakers - just as a note when I check in device manager under systems/System speaker - it shows no drivers are installed for this device - I'm not sure if this could be related - the sound card driver is installed and updated as well - I'm running XP now - got nowhere in Millenium - Any ideas ??????

Collapse -
My speaker has no driver either.

In reply to: Tried it just now - Volume was Up on modem

A message pops up when I check it that says it doesn't need a driver.

Collapse -
Thought So -

In reply to: My speaker has no driver either.

Anything in the System Bios I should be looking at ?????

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.