Cameras forum

General discussion

compact camera with good video

by kevindosi / March 11, 2008 6:19 PM PDT

hey everyone -
i'm getting ready to take a cross-country cycling trip and would love to document it. i'm leaving behind my slr because of the weight and size, so i'd like to try out a small and light point and shoot. it would be really nice if i could get decent video recording on one. does anyone have any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: compact camera with good video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: compact camera with good video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good video
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 12:32 AM PDT

The video included in digital cameras is generally OK,
but not as good as the video from a digital camcorder.

Take a look at the Canon TX1.
They paid a little more attention to the video than most digital cameras do.

If you are looking for a rugged digital camera, look at the Olympus Stylus line of cameras.
They are also water resistant and dust proof.

Collapse -
flip?
by kevindosi / March 12, 2008 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Good video

wow, thanks. this canon looks great. would video quality be better on a flip ultra, or one of these point and shoots? i might just end up getting the flip ultra and borrowing my sister's point and shoot if the video quality is better on it.

Collapse -
Flip Ultra
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: flip?

I don't know what a Flip Ultra is.
If it is a "no name" camera.....don't expect much.
There are multi dozens of "no name" cameras on the market.
Nearly all are designed and built in China.
Most are hardly more than toys.
The rest ... are toys.

You can see a sample of a Canon TX1 video at this link:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/canon_tx1_samples.html

Click on either of the two bottom pictures on that page.
The ones with lots of green grass showing.

Note: They are large files.

Collapse -
flip ultra
by kevindosi / March 12, 2008 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Flip Ultra

Yeah, I figured that the flip ultra is more of a toy than anything, but good for mobility. It's been the #1 selling camcorder on Amazon though, and has pretty good reviews here on cnet, so I wouldn't dog it too much.

Collapse -
Flip Ultra
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: flip ultra

I found the Cnet review of the camera and was surprised that Cnet got fooled by the hype.

Just about everywhere, it is advertised as being 5.6 effective megapixels.
And it has a 1/4" CMOS sensor.

Problem......you can not fit 5.6 megapixels onto a 1/4" sensor.
And why would you want a 5.6 megapixel sensor on a camera that can only produce images as large as 640x480?

Something is wrong.

Dig deep into the specifications on the Pure Digital Technologies web-page and you will find that it is not 5.6 megapixels.

It is 5.6 um pixels

And on a 1/4" VGA CMOS sensor. (VGA means 640x480)

5.6 um is the latest Chinese way of measuring pixels.
It means .56 megapixels.
It is done that way to fool people.
And as you have seen .... it has fooled lots of people, including Cnet.

The camera has no optical zoom and you can not use a memory card.
You are stuck with built-in memory.

This type of "video camera" is available on ebay under many different names. And for far less money.
The only thing that makes the Flip Ultra different is that it is smaller than the others.

You would be better off to buy a Canon A570IS camera.
($160)
Then you have video and a 7 megapixel camera with 4X optical zoom and Image Stabilization.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?