General discussion

Compact camera for both HD video and HDR play...

Have a Canon sx10 is currently. I am looking for something more portable when I don't want to lug the larger camera around. I would like:

10x zoom or more
720p or greater video - zoom while videoing as well
Either raw output or some sort of auto bracketing feature. I want the 3 exposures on each end to Dump into Photomatix for playing around with HDR.

Something like the Canon sx210 IS is perfect.....except no AEB or Raw file output.

any suggestions?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Compact camera for both HD video and HDR play...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Compact camera for both HD video and HDR play...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
None

No such camera exists. Once you ask for RAW output, that cuts the list to a handful. Then asking for 10x zoom cuts the list to zero.

- Collapse -

Either RAW output, or AEB. I'm not picky which one really.

- Collapse -
One
- Collapse -

That does look nice for the $$$. I guess I can forgo the zoom while filming video. I just would like to know if you can access the 3 exposure shots manually or does the camera toss them after using the HDR feature.

- Collapse -
Alternatives

Your criteria are high. There may be some cameras that "can" do what you would like; the question is how well can they perform, and then as usual, at what price. DPReview (link below) did a SuperZoom test in July 2010 (9 cameras). Since you already have a Canon SX10IS, you may want to look at some of these reviews (options). 4 of them are capabale of RAW.Some of the cameras have already been superseded by newer models, you might check them out as well.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/

I tried out a Nikon P100 and was disappointed in several ways by its performance, but one never knows, it may be perfect for another shooter. BTW: The P100 does NOT support RAW Sad

Happy hunting.

- Collapse -

CNET Forums

Forum Info