General discussion

Comp won't boot, wind 98, error: VMM32.VXD is req to run Win

My computer won't boot, not even in safe mode when i turn it on. Its an HP Pavillion 8665C, haven't been having any problems with it. Don't know based on the error message if its a problem with my CD-ROM drive or Mcafee. I don't even have Mcafee enabled any longer (it may even have been uninstalled) cause I had my virus protection thru netzero at the time it went down. Any suggestions? I've been told my hard drive may be toast and i need a new one. I've tried the recovery disk, but when i go thru the steps and hit start recovery, nothing happens.

This is the error msg that comes up when i turn or the computer:

This driver is provded by OAK TECHNOLOGY, Inc..
OTI-91X ATAPI CD-ROM device driver, Rev D91XV352

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Comp won't boot, wind 98, error: VMM32.VXD is req to run Win
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Comp won't boot, wind 98, error: VMM32.VXD is req to run Win
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I hate to say this but...

You need to reinstall windows I hope you had been backing up your data...

What seems to of happened is that you lost an important file that windows needs in order to work correctly.

- Collapse -
Have You Seen These Links...
Error Message: VMM32.VXD Is Required to Run Windows...

Error Message: VMM32.VXD: Missing/Unable to Load

Using a Windows 98 emergency boot disc should allow you to boot to a C prompt, if the drive hasn't failed entirely, then follow the procedures in the links above.. Try the first one first but I don't think it will get you much.. See below:.

As to the McAfee error listed, it's the result of the Autoexec.bat command which asks McAfee to run it's "scan.exe" program at startup.. Since the "scan.exe" file can't be found, in addition to the "vmm32.vxd" being missing, it's very possible the hard drive has become corrupted and you'll need a new one in order to reinstall Windows from your recovery discs.

Unless of course, you're ready to get a new computer..

Hope this helps.

Grif
- Collapse -

Despair not my friend, and insert a blank WIN98 formatted 3.5" floppy (You still must be having a FDD on your PC as you continue using Windows9Cool in the FD slot and go to Control Panel->Add New Programs-> Make Startup Disk submenu and run the program to make your floppy a bootable stsrtup disk.

Using that floppy and your Win98 CD in your CDROM, reload Win 98 again retaining your old data and system files. (You will be prompted when the show begins.)

I think your PC will start normal menu driven booting after this. I suggest that you say good bye to WIN 98 and perhaps with your existing computer hardware resources, be able to switch over to Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2. Windows 98 does not have Microsoft after sales support since last 3 years and lacks many essentials required for efficient computing these days.

Thanks.

- Collapse -

Ok thanks, so how or where do i get a blank WIN98 formatted 3.5?

- Collapse -
Blank?

While one could debate whether you truly wanted it blank, some diskettes of interest are over at bootdisk.com

- Collapse -
A Win 98 Blank 3.5" Formatted floppy is for yours to make

My friend,

Just grab any reusable 3.5" floppy that you have and do not wish to keep the previous data in it, or a brand new one out of its packed box that you may buy. Do not bother to label the floppy. Just pick it and insert it in your FDD slot and click My Computer on your desktop. the screen will show along with other drives your floppy drive. Right click your floppy drive and choose submenu Format. Left click and the show shall begin. Choose quick format to save time. After formatting is over, follow the instructions in my previous mail to make your floppy a Win 98 Startup one.

Now shut down your PC manually and restart. Press Del immediately when the startup starts and you shall see the CMOS (Bios) screen. Go to the Boot Sequence Priority option, (Fish for it baby in all your CMOS menus, because I do not know which one exists on your BIOS chip!) and place Floppy as 1st, CDROM as 2nd and Hard Disk as your third boot priority.

Insert the Win98 Startup floppy in the FDD if not already there. Open the CDROM and insert the Win98 CD. Press the F10 key and CMOS shall quit to restart. You shall see A:\ Windows at end. From A: move to E: or F: whichever logical drive has been made for your CD and enter SETUP.

I hope this shall suffice.

CA. Shyamal Mitra

- Collapse -
Besides the other two comments on this thread,

I hope you understand R. Proffitt's post and as for Shyamalmitra, I don't see s/he understands your Win98 system isn't bootable.

1. If you do not have an EBD to access the computer system, Windows cannot be booted, and therefore, you have no means of downloading from the Web, then perhaps it could be created from the MS-DOS command prompt, provided the system is bootable. In the Windows "Command" folder is a file named Bootdisk.bat which can be used to create an EBD.

a. Crank the computer up until you see the command prompt. Hopefully, this will be shown as "C:". If not, then enter that and press Enter. If you cannot change to "C:" then there is no need trying further. Otherwise, continue...

b. Insert a floppy disk into drive A.

c. Type the following commands, pressing Enter upon completion of each line. Case is irrelevant:

Note: Line #2 is not required for the actual creation of the Startup disk itself and may be left off since it is used only to speed the creation of the startup disk, which doesn't take that long.

cd windows\command
smartdrv.exe
bootdisk a:

d. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish.

2. If you have a friend with a computer they could access "BootDisk.com" which is a good source for acquiring a copy of an EBD/Startup disk for the particular version of Windows.

a. After the ?.EXE has downloaded, find and double-click it. (? will depend on the version selected but for Windows 98 it's, Win98.exe).

b. Follow the instructions after the WinImageExtractor appears - I assume that each of their files include this utility.

c. Place a floppy in drive A:\ as instructed by the first box checked. Also note the section "Writing on Floppy", which give you certain options.

d. Click OK to continue.

e. Caveats:

(1) The instructions shown in paragraph #1 above is not true with this download. The CD drive designation after boot is labeled drive R:\, and the device is named Banana.

(2) If there are drivers which you know your system must have to boot and operate properly in the MS-DOS (real-mode) environment, I suggest you ensure these files are copied to the EBD so they are available.

f. Boot the system with this EBD and ensure everything operates properly.

Note: If the system's CMOS is set for booting from the hard disk first, you must change the options so the system boots first from a floppy drive.

g. Once the system is up and running make sure the CD-ROM drive and any other essential devices are accessible and working correctly. The time to fix any mistakes is NOW while the hard disk is functioning and you have ready access to all files.

3. "Cannot Gain Access to Multiple CD-ROM Drives Using Startup Disk".

Note: The content of this article explains how to edit the default information on the Windows 98 Startup disk concerning the particular CD-ROM accessed during boot. IOW, the device identification contained may read D:\MSCD00? - where ? equals CD-ROM drive identification and that identification required for your computer may be different.

4. Supplemental reading:

a. "Manually Updating the Startup Disk After Installing MS Plus! (Q136900)".

b. "How to Create a Windows 98 Startup Disk from MS-DOS (Q186300)."

c. "How to Create a Windows 98 Startup Disk that Supports FAT32 (Q187532)."

5. When booting a system with a Windows 98 Startup Disk, a boot menu appears offering two options - to load with or without CD-ROM support. After a selection is make, the process continues. The CD-Rom process builds a 2MB RAMDrive (virtual drive). The drive designation is the VERY next drive letter following the last hard drive designation already on a system. IOW, the current assigned CD-ROM drive letter is pushed +1 drive letter ahead from what it was before booting with the EBD. Example:

a. You have one hard disk drive with three designated drives/and/or/partitions; Drives C:\, D:\ and E:\.

b. You have one CD-ROM drive F:\

c. You have one DVD drive G:\

d. Therefore, the RAMDrive will be designated F:\ and your prior drives F:\ = G:\, and G:\ = H:\. Perhaps these two may even swap drive designations because of certain system anomalies.

Caveat: Not every CD-ROM drive is supported by the drivers included on the Windows 98 Startup disk/EBD. If your CD-ROM drive does not function with the included default drivers, you must use the drivers that came with your CD-ROM drive or acquire them elsewhere. Copy those drivers onto the disk and perhaps it may be necessary to edit the configuration files to ensure they are appropriately referenced on boot.

6. A RAMDrive is created where the EBD.CAB files are extracted before certain MS-DOS commands can be used. Essentially, this virtual drive emulates a physical hard drive on a system and is created where the EBD.CAB files are uncompress:

Attrib.exe - Add or remove file attributes
Chkdsk.exe - A simpler and smaller disk status tool
Debug.exe - Debugging utility
Edit.com - Real-mode emergency text editor
Ext.exe - New, simple file extract utility
Format.com - Disk format tool
Mscdex.exe - Microsoft CD-ROM file extension for MS-DOS
Scandisk.exe - Disk status tool
Scandisk.ini - Disk status tool configuration file
Sys.com - Transfers system files and make disk bootable
Uninstal.exe - A tool to remove Windows 98 from the system and return the system to its previous state

Note: Should the MS-DOS command dir be performed on the newly created Startup disk the above files are not reflected, and they are not usable until the extraction has been performed. Several of the other necessary MS-DOS maintenance tools are provided separately as standalone files.

7. Depending on the version of Windows, Setup will place an EBD sub folder to Windows\Command folder, consist of the following twenty-two files:

ASPI2DOS.SYS
ASPI4DOS.SYS
ASPI8DOS.SYS
ASPI8U2 .SYS
ASPICD.SYS
AUTOEXEC.BAT
BTCDROM .SYS
*BTDOSM.SYS
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
DRVSPACE.BIN
EBD.CAB
EBD.SYS
EXTRACT.EXE
FDISK.EXE
FINDRAMD.EXE
FLASHPT.SYS
HIMEM.SYS
IO.SYS
*MSDOS.SYS
OAKCDROM.SYS
RAMDRIVE.SYS
README.TXT
SETRAMD.BAT
= 24 files

Note: Except for the following, a Startup disk/EBD created either by running Bootdisk.bat or from Windows are:

BTDOSM.SYS = by the Bootdisk.bat
EBD.SYS = by Windows, which is a 0-byte file (worthless)
MSDOS.SYS = by Windows

8. What a Startup disk/EBD is and what is it used for?

a. An EBD will not be very useful unless a new backup is created each time certain significant changes are made to a system, particularly if you compress a drive. Get in the habit of creating an EBD each time Windows Setup is run and at any time you feel appropriate.

b. An EBD/Startup disk is nothing more that an open door to the system and provides a bunch of DOS tools. It provides few peripheral drivers (See list in #2 above) and you cannot start the GUI environment (Windows) after booting with it, [Q178947].

Warning Icon: If a floppy is not a System Bootable Floppy, it will not function. If you used the Windows procedure next or the file located in the system Command folder then the floppy will contain system files.

? Be sure this floppy is write-protected at all times

NOTE: Once the EBD is processed correctly by your computer you can change to the CDROM drive where you have already inserted the Windows 98 Operating System disk and then run the SETUP file there to install Windows over itself which could correct the current problem.

- Collapse -
File missing or corrupted

Sounds as if you contracted a virus and it kissed the file out, if you could boot you could likely fix it by finding a system with the same OS searching the files for the missing item, VMM32.VXD, loading it to floppy,CD or flash (if you had USB capability) uploading to sick system and go from there, since you can't get to Windows, therein lies a problem and you may have to reload. Another long shot is to find (assuming your drive (ROM) is functional would be to get your hands on an older NORTON disk, 2004 or earlier, stuff it in the drive and see what happens, it is a LONG shot but if you can find a disk, try it, sometimes, depending upon the issue(s) it will boot the system, locate and isolate the problem, again since the file is missing it is dubious but worth a try. Good luck!

- Collapse -
Unluckily ...

the vmm32.dll is machine specific, and made so by the Windows install. So just copying it from somewhere else isn't a good idea.

Read about it in http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/vmm32.html

I'm afraid a new install is the best (if not the only) way to proceed. All one needs for that:
- a boot diskette
- a Windows 98 CD
- all necessary drivers (on diskette or CD)
- setup programs for all applications you want to run
- preferably a backup of the data on the old hard disk (although it's possible to just delete the windows and program file folders before the installation of Windows and keep the folders with data in it, in stead of formatting).

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info