Desktops forum

General discussion

Comp Can't Recognize Partition

by beerbq / March 12, 2004 12:17 AM PST

I have an old, Compaq computer with 2 HDs, a 6 gigabyte one with WIN 98 (on secondary master) and a 40 GB one partitioned 5 ways, with Win 98 SE (on primary master). I installed the 40 GB drive a couple of years back and it has been working fine. Then all of a sudden a week or two ago, the computer booted to win 98 (aka the 6 gig drive). However, when i look at My Computer, 4 of the 5 partitions for the 40 GB drive exist with the one containing win 98 SE excluded. Also, if this is important or not, a few times the computer has booted up with just the 6 gig drive displayed in My Computer and about half the time I can see the CD-rom. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comp Can't Recognize Partition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comp Can't Recognize Partition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Comp Can't Recognize Partition
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 1:23 AM PST

Use FDISK to see if the 40GB drive in the PRIMARY IDE and MASTER has an ACTIVE partition. Some MALWARE loves to unset that and cause issues.

You do have a backup of what you can't lose?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Comp Can't Recognize Partition
by beerbq / March 12, 2004 7:15 AM PST

I used FDISK and for "fixed disk drive 2" it displays 2 partitions. The first has "A" for status (i'm guessing this means active), "Non-DOS" for type, no volume label, 2071 Mbytes, no system and 8% usage. The second partition has nothing under status, "EXT DOS" for type, no volume label, 35098 Mbytes, no system and 92% usage. If I try to set active partition, it says that only partitions on Drive 1 can be made active. What should I do?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Comp Can't Recognize Partition
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 7:45 AM PST

You'll have to open a command window and supply the output of the following command for me.

FDISK /STATUS

Yoru post was unclear, but that status command will give the forum a good idea of the partition status. It does look from all appearances that some other software than FDISK was used to prepare the drive. THAT SOFTWARE would best be used to examine the drive. If it is Partition Magic, be prepared to call them.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Comp Can't Recognize Partition
by beerbq / March 12, 2004 11:55 PM PST

Fixed Disk Drive Status
Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
1 6202 100%
C: 6202
2 38169 100%
D: 6047
E: 8003
F: 12100
G: 8948

The above is the output of FDISK/STATUS. All of the spacing was lost when I posted the message. From the looks of it, it only has 4 partitions yet it accounts for the 5th in the total space (38 GB).

I used MaxBlast Plus II to partition the drive. When I execute the program and go to drive information, it gives me the 5 partitions. What should I do from here? BTW, thank you for your help so far.

Collapse -
Maxblast?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2004 12:16 AM PST

Sadly, it's another one that I just don't use except for the DRIVE FITNESS TESTS. ALERT! I did not write for you to run this!

Ok, now that we see drives C,D,E,F,G in DOS, what does ...

DIR D:
DIR E:

and so on reveal. If these are your files then we need to do a rewind and restate what the problem is?

For instance, another user has caught some PEST/PARASITE and it hid the drive letters in Explorer. They fought (with words) that they didn't install Tweakui (which can hide drives), but missed the easy use of Tweakui to unhide the drive letters.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?