Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Comodo or Zone Alarm

by den65 / June 16, 2007 9:21 AM PDT

Good day. Which is the better choice, seriously? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comodo or Zone Alarm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comodo or Zone Alarm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I personally like Comodo
by Donna Buenaventura / June 16, 2007 4:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Comodo or Zone Alarm

because it is a rule-based firewall software.

ZA free is not. ZA is an application-based firewall software AFAIK.

Both are good firewall but it depends on the user which kind of firewall they like. Rule-based or application based.

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm is easy to support
by rsimanski / June 23, 2007 6:36 AM PDT

I have been using the free version of ZoneAlarm and installing it on my clients' systems for years. I have never tried Comodo. However, I like ZoneAlarm because it is very easy to configure and support and has a user-friendly interface. Because it is application-based, if a client mistakenly blocks an application, I can walk them through the correction over the phone.

Also, many of my clients have routers for sharing their Internet connections. I like the ease of creating a trusted zone that covers every computer on their networks.

Collapse -
I had used ZA free
by jahn / June 17, 2007 5:31 AM PDT

for a year or two, and was happy with it. But then, each new version started using more and more resources and it got to the point my system was crawling (I only have 512MB with XP SP2). After trying Kerio, NetVeda, and a couple others, I ran across Comodo last August. It's very light on resources and highly configurable. If you don't use any P2P you can probably just run the automatic setup, or if you prefer and have a little knowledge of firewalls you can easily make it as tight as you want. And there's a great support forum to help you with any questions you might have.

Collapse -
Another Comodo User Here...
by Larry38 / June 17, 2007 7:03 AM PDT

Having used Zone Alarm Free for a number of years, I was doing some reading about firewalls. Decided to give Comodo a try, about 6 months ago. Still have it on my machine, and I like Comodo much better.

Comodo does have a very good Support Forum, I have asked a number of questions, and got some very good answers in a very short time.

Actually it will be your choice, give them both a try and see which one you like better.

Collapse -
Sad Vista user awaiting Comodo Vista compatibility
by SlingShotz / June 17, 2007 7:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
ZoneAlarm all the way
by jrfoleyjr / June 18, 2007 12:51 PM PDT

ZoneAlarm is the standard against which the others are measured. It was the firewall that blocked outgoing connects to already resident virii when all the others (like Black Ice) assumed that if it was installed, it was OK! The paid version of ZA has expert rules capabilities that are a must for use with my web server. ZA is flexible!

No I do not work for ZoneAlarm. I recently had a problem with the latest version of ZA breaking Counterspy. When I retreated to an earlier version of ZA everything went OK. Have ZA and CS gotten their acts together? Who knows? I still use ZA.

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm Pro and Outpost: Probably the best paid out there!
by darkdestiny7 / June 18, 2007 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: ZoneAlarm all the way

I don't use both firewalls (though I did use ZoneAlarm free), but something tells me that they are among the best firewalls in the market today. Find the free ZoneAlarm easy to use.

As for Comodo, it's amonge the top free firewalls available. I think I've said this somewhere in the forums.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm

I always used Zone Alarm until it started to block me from connecting to the internet...I uninstalled it and was able to connect. I am using the very poor Windows firewall right now until I can install Comodo. Are there problems with Comodo of which I should be aware?
I have XP SP2...

Collapse -
I have the same OS as you....
by Larry38 / June 23, 2007 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Zone Alarm

Removed ZA and installed Comodo about 6 mo. ago. So far no problems. When you install Comodo, it will auto. shut off the Windows Firewall.

Good Luck.
Larry

Collapse -
Waiting for...
by glenn30 / June 23, 2007 2:09 AM PDT

Comodo 3 Vista compatible version. Anxious to try it and remove the Vista Firewall. Looks like it may still be a few months away.

Glenn

Collapse -
Choosing top of the line!
by bashar.ayyash / June 18, 2007 4:55 PM PDT

Hi there,

According to http://www.toptenreviews.com/ site which is a site tell you gives you review for top ten products (almost for everything you imagine software, hardware,,,and even to top movies) I trust these guys so much and because of that I read their reviews and in firewall section they chose ZA Pro to be on top of the line.

You can read their review about ZA Pro from here http://personal-firewall-software-review.toptenreviews.com/zonealarm-pro-review.html

I hope the above will help you...

Collapse -
RE: Zone Alarm and Comodo
by den65 / June 18, 2007 8:59 PM PDT

Good day. thanks for the feedbacks so far. It seems majority of the posts has it Comodo is the prefered choice. The 2 factors that Comodo boasts of is the HIPS protection and lighter in system resources in comparison with ZA. Anyway, not decided yet.

Collapse -
Almost every site relating to software
by darkdestiny7 / June 19, 2007 12:06 AM PDT

Have this kind of ranking stuff, whether it's PC World, Top Ten Reviews or CNET. And every single one prove to be different. I don't quite understand the differences.

Collapse -
Zone alarm? Nah!!!
by immanueln2005 / June 19, 2007 8:05 PM PDT

I haven't used Comodo, but have to warn you guys. Zone Alarm feasts on my system resources. ZA was simply amazing when i installed it a year back. But now, even if i'm scanning, firefox or any other application takes a hell lot of time to open.

Collapse -
Comodo ROKZ
by immanueln2005 / June 19, 2007 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Zone alarm? Nah!!!

Hey friends,

I just installed comodo, and its very very good. Hardly any impact on the performance of other application's, low on system resources, Does its work. Blocks Windows Media Player connecting to the internet using the browser also!. A very free-ing feeling from ZA.

But, the fact is ZA has a lot more features than Comodo. Comodo lacks Password Protection, No Parental Control, Doesn't show every activity going on, as in ZA. Comodo doesn't feature any anti-spyware, anti-virus, as in ZA, and hence no scanning.

But, it does its job perfectly as a Basic FireWall.

Collapse -
Installing Comodo
by den65 / June 21, 2007 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Comodo ROKZ

Good day. I want to change from ZA to Comodo. Been using ZA as a basic Firewall so I think Comodo measures up for me also. Do I just simply uninstall ZA and install Comodo? I would imagine after installing Comodo, the pop ups would appear one by one whenever I access an application or install any software etc. Any advise would be appreciated before I go ahead with installation. Thanks

Collapse -
Yes
by Donna Buenaventura / June 21, 2007 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Installing Comodo
Collapse -
Uninstall ZA, Then Reinstall Comodo
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 21, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

First, in order to uninstall ZoneAlarm, it's important to take a "two-step" approach.. First, open the ZA icon, click on the "Overview" tab, then click on the "Preferences" tab (I think), and UNCHECK the box that says: "Load at startup". Choose "Yes" , if it asks: "Are you sure?", then "Exit" ZA and restart the computer.. After restarting the computer, the ZA icon should no longer appear in the lower right corner.. NOW open Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs and uninstall ZoneAlarm from there and restart the computer again..

Next, install Comodo per the instructions in the link below from the Comodo forums:

http://forums.comodo.com/faq_for_comodo_firewall/cpf_installation_step_by_step-t4657.0.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the help, DONNA & GRIF
by den65 / June 21, 2007 7:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
But you have to take note
by darkdestiny7 / June 21, 2007 8:57 PM PDT

Always disconnect your computer from the Internet before uninstalling your firewall. It will make you vulnerable to threats again if you don't. Have always been reminded of that when I uninstall AV or firewalls.

But I wonder, how does Comodo work in the first place? I've used it before, but I don't understand certain parts of it. Sometimes it even blocks an IP address from connecting to my wireless system.

A site that does firewall leak tests stated that Comodo blocks almost anything, making it better than Jetico and ZoneAlarm Pro firewalls. Source: http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

Collapse -
Unavoidable
by immanueln2005 / June 24, 2007 9:52 PM PDT

Hi Den,
The pop-up's that come up when you install Comodo is unavoidable. All firewalls do keep poping up alerts when you install them. All you can do is to tick the dialogue, for known applications like internet explorer, which says "Remember this choice" (I guess).

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm vs Comodo Firewall
by plutchok / June 23, 2007 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Comodo ROKZ

Many reviews have ranked Comodo higher than ZoneAlarm, and many users have reported serious problems with ZA (as you can see in this forum). I recommended Commodo Firewall in my blog on free and cheap utilities and Web sites, http://jonathanstoolbar.blogspot.com; for the detailed review, see the 10 November 2006 entry.

Comodo also offers free anit-virus and anti-spyware utilities, but I have not tested these yet and they have not gained a lot of attention from others.

True, ZA released its Vista-compatible version over a week ago, while we are still waiting for Comodo for Vista... But I am quite content to stick with XP and wait to upgrade to Vista too.

- Jonathan Plutchok
"Jonathan's Tool Bar & Grill"

Collapse -
http://jonathanstoolbar.blogspot.com
by yankeeforever / June 23, 2007 10:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Are you certain?
by darkdestiny7 / June 23, 2007 10:15 PM PDT

I can enter the site here.

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm vs Comodo Firewall: Are you certain?
by plutchok / June 23, 2007 10:48 PM PDT

Sorry, it appears that the semicolon at the end of my blog's URL is included in the hyperlink. Here is the URL again, all by itself:

http://jonathanstoolbar.blogspot.com

Thank you for visiting my blog. I hope it's helpful!

Collapse -
Just to clarify
by ChrisRM / June 24, 2007 6:46 PM PDT

Firewalls don't scan!

If you are scanning you are running the virus scanner ( that's not the firewall) they just get bundled together and confuse people.

Also its not surprising that your system slows down when you run a virus scan its looking through all your hard disk at each individual file. Thats MAJOR I/O and is bound to slow other I/O down, like loading Firefox or anything else for that matter. Run a virus scan when you are going to watch a cople of hours of TV or read a book!!

Back to the question: Unfortunately the firewall you use depends upon your basic understanding of what a firewall is and does, and also what applications you want to be able to run on your system.
If you dont understand the questions it asks you ( the self training concept) you will give incorrect responses resulting in the blocking of apps you want to use and or the allowing of apps that are in fact some sort of malware. In which case you may as well not have one at all, it just gives a false sense of security.

Zonealarm is a good one to start with, its fairly simple to use and if you read all the messages it gives you about apps trying to get in and out of your system you shouldn't go far wrong. Its simple to undo an incorrect responce if you make one so start with that.
Dont download the bloatware Suite version with anti virus etc etc, go for the free version firewall only (try AVG Free for your anti virus).

Go here to download http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

Good Luck

Collapse -
To make ZoneAlarm lighter
by Holybride / May 28, 2010 10:16 PM PDT

Disable the antivirus checker in the setting, it's the only thing that makes the ZoneAlarm consume lots of resources. (I did it to my old laptop and Zonealarm worked fine until the old laptop's broken).

Collapse -
if you can skip 5 cups of coffee/a dub/ or $20 I'd sug ZA
by moulaemoulae / September 3, 2010 10:09 PM PDT

I use to be like the majority of SW leaches out there, and complain about how Zone Alarm (unpaid for version) is crap, but once I paid for it, I only regret not doing it sooner. Trust- paying less than 20bones for a FULLY functional, multi-cpu installable reg. is well worth it. That is unless your computer is slow...but otherwise/Zone

Collapse -
Comodo User Here.
by tlsmith1138 / June 22, 2007 12:52 PM PDT

Use Comodo and luv it. Zone Alarm drags, pesters and eats memory.

Collapse -
Comodo or Zone Alarm
by kmcnulty / June 22, 2007 7:58 PM PDT

Zone Alarm may be going the way of Norton when Symantec bought up Norton--as in a good thing got mucked up. "Check Point" bought Zone Alarm a short time ago. The ZA Pro7 version that came out this spring was mucked up. Would not install (I had subscription upgrade rights) and would hang up my comp while it was trying to install. Help desk had no solutions, would not admit there was an issue. Google "ZONE ALARM PRO7" and you will see I was not alone. It will not work at all with windows xp media center edition--which I use on my main machine. After using ZA for close to 7-years I got rid of it and installed Comodo and am quite happy--no regrets going on two months now.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!