Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Comodo Firewall

by FrankQC / April 5, 2009 12:50 PM PDT

So I've been using Windows Firewall for the beginning of my computer learning.

6 years later I decide I should try out a new firewall.

Is Comodo Firewall a really good firewall to have or should I just stick to Windows Firewall?

p.s. using Windows Vista Enterprise, 32-bit.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comodo Firewall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comodo Firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Comodo Firewall user
by manmur / April 5, 2009 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Comodo Firewall

I have been using Comodo for the past 7 months and so far it has not let me down.
Some people may find it annoying as it will pop-up on you a lot when the program 'learns' about your computer. After a month this slows down.
It blocks any unknown from running and getting in the computer. It also keep a tally of all of the things that it blocked from getting in to my system. This resets every time the computer or the firewall is turned off.

It works fine under Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit.

Collapse -
been using it about a year
by mementh / April 5, 2009 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Comodo Firewall user

been using it about a year, ever since another firewall I used was found to be incompatable with the computer i had. (caused disconnects and blue screens of death with HTTPS.SYS )

Comodo works decent..

I would tell a power user to not let it "learn" anything and add a "trusted" group to your run list and set that to let it run other processes mainly.

When setting up a program i recomend telling it that the program should be treated like a installer/updater and to use the special mode that is available. (this reduces headaces for telling it to allow things)
Make sure you switch back *BEFORE* running the program itself.
Then give it the premissions model it needs to run.
Limited or advanced or whatever Happy

Very usefull for just the program control there and we have not even started talking about the firewall thats in it.

Collapse -
It's a very nice firewall
by Donna Buenaventura / April 5, 2009 7:57 PM PDT

Just don't install the unnecessary toolbar if you don't want Ask toolbar.

Comodo Firewall Pro is quite easy to use and it is simply doing what it should do.

Collapse -
Yeah
by FrankQC / April 5, 2009 8:44 PM PDT

I didn't install the Ask toolbar and etc.

But another question: Once I install the COMODO Firewall (which I already have now), should I turn off the Windows Firewall?

Windows tells me that having two firewalls = can resolve in conflicts later on.

Collapse -
Yes, you need to disable Windows Firewall
by Donna Buenaventura / April 5, 2009 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Yeah

since you have Comodo firewall now.

Glad you did not install the unnecessary toolbar Happy

Collapse -
Haha yeah. I don't like slow browsers :P
by FrankQC / April 5, 2009 11:04 PM PDT

Alright thanks for the help and yeah I disabled my Firewall Happy

Collapse -
Right, it will slow down the start-up of the browser
by Donna Buenaventura / April 5, 2009 11:19 PM PDT

and will also use unnecessary memory Grin

You're welcome. Enjoy configuring your firewall.

Collapse -
Another Comodo Firewall has Anti-Virus protection
by Darrell / April 6, 2009 2:18 AM PDT

It is called Comodo Internet Security at: www.comodo(dot)com. I was not to crazy about the pop ups from the Firewall, but it can be stopped until it learns all it needs; I switched it from safe mode or clean mode to training mode for Firewall & Defence & Security. There was another item that caused balloon messages and I have that unchecked. You will be surprised at the stoppage of virus & sptware!! Originally, I had Comodo Firewall Pro. Darrell

Collapse -
Yea.
by FrankQC / April 6, 2009 2:29 AM PDT

On my Vista I already have McAfee Enterprise so there is no point on getting the COMODO antivirus.

On my virtual machine XP professional I did, though, install the whole Internet Suite since I did not have any protection what-so-ever (other than the Windows Firewall).

Collapse -
Just A Note: Had A Few Problems Here In Domain Environment
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 6, 2009 7:28 AM PDT

Most homeowners don't have such, simple networks only, but complex networks can be troublesome. And it could be my failings in it's configuration but we require file sharing in one particular domain while blocking others. Same thing is a few office networks where multiple workgroups were used..

As a result, the firewall became a little glitchy and unreliable for a few simple things like internet connections.

This may not be your situation but I thought it important to point it out.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Yeah.
by FrankQC / April 6, 2009 9:13 AM PDT

I'm running the average-joe network but with higher knowledge to its security.

The only thing that I dislike about COMODO is that even though I say "remember my answer" or something it still asks.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!