HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Comodo continue to to issue certificates to known Malware

by Donna Buenaventura / May 16, 2009 2:04 AM PDT

What's the use of reporting to Comodo if they will ask the alerter on security/privacy issue to shut-up? And why give email address in the first place to report problems on certificates issued to known malware/rogue by Comodo?

Author of MVPS Hosts file and a Microsoft MVP Mike Burgess was asked "to keep quiet about the Comodo certificates issued by Comodo to known malware creators or distributors."

More at http://msmvps.com/blogs/hostsnews/archive/2009/05/16/1692519.aspx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comodo continue to to issue certificates to known Malware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comodo continue to to issue certificates to known Malware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks, Donna! I Would Have
by tobeach / May 16, 2009 3:58 PM PDT

never found this info on my own!! Love Sandy

Collapse -
You're welcome, Sandy.
by Donna Buenaventura / May 16, 2009 5:03 PM PDT

We got to subscribe to many RSS feeds to get important info like the above Happy

Collapse -
so what to do?
by mementh / May 16, 2009 4:55 PM PDT

Should I find another firewall then comodo firewall which has worked good? ( can i trust it anymore? )

Should I remove comodo from trusted TTS/SSL certs due to the fact they are no longer trustworthy?

Any Idea cause this has got me worried now.. I don't need the chinese post office doing stuff like this. ( See Security Now Podcast hehe)

Collapse -
You can...
by Donna Buenaventura / May 16, 2009 5:08 PM PDT
In reply to: so what to do?

try free Outpost and Online Armor which have HIPS. One member at Calendar of Updates forum have compared the HIPS protection by software firewall of Comodo, Outpost and Online Armor. It seems Outpost and OA is better than Comodo:
http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=19143

I personally use Outpost and have OA on a Vista test sytem. Both are light to use and doing what it should do to firewall something. And their installer don't come with "free unwanted add-on, Ask.com Search Assistant or Ask.com Toolbar".

>>Should I remove comodo from trusted TTS/SSL certs due to the fact they are no longer trustworthy?
I have configured the browsers to warn me if the cert is issued by untrusted authority. You can also delete it, if you like.

Collapse -
Comodo again
Collapse -
Criminals using Comodo to attempt legitimacy

The ten thousand dollar question, which no one asked of Mr. Abdulhayoglu, was why Comodo offers DV certificates free for 90-days.

“A free SSL certificate will secure your site and begin building trust,” Comodo’s site states, adding that a free SSL certificate is, “the same as our paid Essential SSL” They even promise no, “faxes, no paperwork and no delays - get the golden padlock within minutes and be ready to sell online.” How is this not making an offer to encrypt data for a recipient you have not verified?

http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200922/3750/Criminals-using-Comodo-to-attempt-legitimacy

Collapse -
BEWARE: Microsoft strikes again
by stine2469 / June 2, 2009 11:05 AM PDT

If you have installed the latest update from Microsoft, or if you let them do it to you, you now have all 9 (i think) Comodo Certs re-installed. What's more, only one Comodo CA shows up in the certificate manager mmc....which i promptly deleted.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.