Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Comodo antivirus/firewall

by chuckeej / November 4, 2009 10:52 AM PST

I had installed AVG 9.0 (upgrade from 8.5)a few days ago, but just now Uninstalled it becuz I surmised that it was freezing my pc whenever I tried to load a web page..(this has been happening for several days now). Task Manager Processes showed (6) avg items running -- avgtray.exe/avgwdsvc.exe/avgcsrvx/avgrsx.exe/avgchsvx/avgnsx.exe -
so I decided to uninstall it. I have no idea if this was the cause of my pc freezing and incomplete loading of web pages. Now I find that at least I am able to finish loading the sites.
Now, my question is: I have Zone Alarm currently installed - would any conflicts be created if I should install Comodo firewall/antivirus software? and would they both work in tandem when I enable both at startup? Also, could I install another anti-virus program like Anti-vir in addition to Comodo?
Many thanks for help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comodo antivirus/firewall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comodo antivirus/firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Little More Info Please! OS & Serv.Pk?
by tobeach / November 4, 2009 2:24 PM PST

You currently have Zone Alarm installed...Which version? Firewall only or full version free or pay? You should NOT have 2 software firewalls installed at same time! Will create horrors. Only 1 true Anti-Virus also.

Does Comodo still offer the Anti-malware part without the firewall included? Or included but doesn't HAVE to be installed? Been a while since I checked & there was some kerfluffle about Comodo at that time (both to do with latest firewall & default settings on the paid version as well as some problems with Comodo issuing untrustworthy security certificates). This goes back as far as late 2008. Perhaps better now?

There are a few links in the following post(s) you can pick or chose among.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/hostsnews/archive/2009/05/16/1692519.aspx
http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200922/3750/Criminals-using-Comodo-to-attempt-legitimacy
http://blog.scotsnewsletter.com/2008/01/20/do-not-rely-on-comodo-3s-basic-firewall/
http://blog.scotsnewsletter.com/2008/01/22/comodos-ceo-attacks-scots-newsletter-product-decision/

I have NOT YET removed Comodo from my Free Programs List but am NOT promoting it now either. (At one time was quite a fan). Sandy

I am personally currently using AVIRA Anti-Vir free personal A/V and have been generally happy with it & it doesn't seem to conflict w/ any other on demand scanners I have (SAS & MBAM). I'm using MS Firewall behind a hardware WIRED router w/firewall (D-link). No intrusions
and no problems w/IE /Firefox & Sea Monkey. Your mileage may vary!LOL!
I imagine all above free programs will get along w/ Zone Alarm if you're happy w/ ZA. Hope this helps. Happy

Collapse -
Ooops! Forgot!! Since You've Removed
by tobeach / November 4, 2009 2:29 PM PST

AVG 9, you should also (if you haven't/didn't) download & run the AVG removal tool to clean up any left over files that might cause future problems. Good Luck!! Happy
http://www.avg.com/ca-en/download-tools

Collapse -
Comodo firewall/antivirus & SuperAntiSpyware
by chuckeej / November 6, 2009 8:08 AM PST

Many thanks for ur help. I went ahead and installed AntiVir instead of Comodo, and I am happy to say my pc is not locking up since I uninstalled AVG. Now I have another question re SuperAntispyware Free. I need to update this. However, how do I decline updates to Arabic/Bulgarian/Dutch Language File ..all I need is English - but I don't see any options to decline the foreign languages. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Collapse -
comodo/superantispyware
by davidwholt / November 6, 2009 10:48 AM PST

have you replaced firewall
or just switched anti-spyware?

different apps...

Collapse -
SuperantiSpyware
by chuckeej / November 8, 2009 10:33 AM PST

I have not replaced Zone Alarm Free firewall which I updated lately to ver: 8.0.298. I have Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.0 Free, and will try to update it to the latest version. I also have Spyware Blaster 4.2 and the latest Super AntiSpyware Free 4.25.1014. I'm not sure if I clicked on English only when I installed it, but I went ahead and updated it anyway.
As mentioned in my previous post I deleted AVG 9.0 free, bcuz websites were not loading completely and my pc was locking up - couldn't tell if it was due to AVG/IE7/(which I had just upgraded from IE6)/ or AOL - but on checking Task Manager it seemed to me that AVG was running about 7 apps all at once, and figured that could be the problem. After uninstalling AVG I then went ahead and installed Avira AntiVir and Firefox 3.5.4 browser. I'm happy to say that now my pc is running and loading just fine.
Also, one other question: will Firefox and Internet Explorer conflict each other at any given time? I have enabled Firefox as my primary browser.
Regarding processes in Task Manager I really would appreciate some suggestions which ones are 'safe' to terminate/disable, so as to enable my pc to run and load webpages faster.
Many thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Hi, Again! I Also Wonder Which
by tobeach / November 6, 2009 3:24 PM PST

program(s) you NOW have installed for
1)Firewall? Which version#, pay or free? FW ONLY or with additional Stuff included?
2)For Anti-Spy/malware?
3) Anti-Virus (Avira A/V only? Straight A/V for with other stuff incl?).

I'm afraid your question re: SAS & other languages gets answered as NO:
http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2507&p=12751&hilit=other+language+updates%E2%80%A6#p12751

Unless your using something like Win98 with tiny HD & Ram, SAS size shouldn't be a problem even w/ alt languages included. You, during install, clicked the box for English correct? You see only English
displayed?

If you're extremely tight for HD/RAM space then that's a different problem most likely cured by off loading some "stored" but not used often items to a flash thumb drive or other storage. Under > My Computer> C: >properties, what &age is showing as free?

If slow performance due to limited RAM is the problem than thinning out the herd of start up items running in background all the time will help a lot (often indicated by very slow boot-up times). Task Mgr.
(C/A/D) under processes tab at very bottom what # shows as CPU Usage,
Processes & Commit Charge (#/#)while you're reading this post??

For comparison,I show CPU usage varying from 0-2%, 26 processes & commit as 273 of possible 1121.
Not really Sec/Spyware etc but if you post info, will try to give short suggestions for improvements. Hope this helps! Happy

Collapse -
Re
by ronlee031762 / December 14, 2010 6:58 PM PST

Have you went into your setting and added them to the ignore lists of each programs. It should be in your settings or trusted (Comodo, antivirus tab).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?