Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Community Marriage Policies Help Lower Divorce Rates

by Patricia89 / October 22, 2007 11:01 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Community Marriage Policies Help Lower Divorce Rates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Community Marriage Policies Help Lower Divorce Rates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Orthodox Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons
by drpruner / October 22, 2007 8:14 PM PDT

that I know of, won't participate in weddings unless the parties are members, and premarital planning is a must. (Catholics have backed off from this.) All also have follow-up systems in place if asked for. All have significantly lower divorce rates. I don't doubt the Oregon program has been a factor there. No doubt collateral damage is down also. (Problems with kids and finances.)

And there's always Plan B:
http://www.forbes.com/personalfinance/2007/03/06/divorce-tips-money-pf-estates-in_mb_0306money_inl_slide_14.html?thisSpeed=30000
Happy

Collapse -
A very complex issue
by Steven Haninger / October 22, 2007 8:56 PM PDT

as one can get married in a church but must get divorced at a courthouse. Of course the "communities" mentioned in the article are those of religious affiliation and not neighborhood associations who car more about how long your grass is than whether there is harmony within the walls. The "arm twisting" churches can apply is limited but I'd applaud any attempt within the church mission to support the sanctity of the marriage vows. Happy

Collapse -
It takes more study & preparation for all other licenses....
by Angeline Booher / October 23, 2007 1:00 AM PDT

...... than for a marriage license.

And for what is not an easy job!

I saw the TV piece about this program. One aspect I think can be very useful is the post-ceremony support. Though parents and other family members can be a good source, the danger exists that they "take sides" and have difficulty being objective.

Whether one looks at marriage as a Sacrament, or a Covenant with God, or a promise to each other, etc., taking time to understand there are pitfalls and bad days helps smooth the waters.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Most people spend more time planning the wedding
by Diana Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 12:11 PM PDT

than planning the marriage.

Diana

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.