Computer Help forum

General discussion

Comments please!

Quote: "Finally, you can give your keyboard a bath if it needs it. For example, if you spill orange soda pop into the keyboard, try to save matters by bathing the keyboard. First, turn off the computer. Second, unplug the keyboard. Third, immerse it in some warm, soapy water. Let it sit for a spell. Then remove the keyboard and let it drain. Keep it out overnight so that it's utterly dry when you reconnect it."
What do YOU think??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comments please!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comments please!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't think that I would allow

In reply to: Comments please!

the soapy water to dry in it. Twould rinse it with clear later. HOWEVER, there are a number of contruction techniques used to make a keyboard and the cleaning method varies by the type.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Exactly echos my thoughts, Ray.

In reply to: I don't think that I would allow

Collapse -
I Think...

You'll be needing a new keyboard if you try that. Unless maybe you remove the PC board from inside beforehand.

Collapse -
Yes and No

I've actually done this with older removable kybd. innards and these were of the "hall effect" keys. They aren't effected by immesion, BUT certainly any metal mechincal or capactive types are as they aren't a sealed unit and thus you truly need to be sure it is dry. Though, I have used also chemical immersion baths as well but again the kybds. are robust and worth cleaning and refurbishment. However, its simply better to buy new ktbds. now to reduce any problems either from using a cleaned kybd. or damaged one. A simple cleaning with rubbing alcohol and a simple brush could work as well and allowed to dry, blow out and sit by sunlit window to dry, then test when ready. More importantly, you save NOT cleaning and typical kybds. aren't worth that much cleaning when faced with a serious spill, but laptop kybds. could be worth it. I have used a "hot box"(painted black metal vented box, facing sun) to help superdry some wet kybds. and take our chances, no or no go, then use or toss.

congrats '05 -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!